Pocket Mask. Do you carry one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry one, but I was also a Paramedic Instructor for years (starting in the 70's) and I am used to the pocket masks (and used masks hundreds of times on CPR victims).

If you have never really used one, they are difficult to use without practice. The most common error using a mask is a poor seal, making all your expired air go out and under the mask skirt instead of down the patient's throat. You should have been taught a "C-Clamp" to hold the Pocket Mask in place and also how to correctly and adequately seal the mask to the patient's face.

You should have practiced on a manikin in class; then, a floating manikin in a BC in the water. Practicing on a classmate and saying "Breath" everytime you should give a breath is not going to get you proficient in using a mask.

I'd do ventilations without a mask if I had to, though I would prefer the mask. We never worried about diseases until the mid-eighties; then it is blood borne, and we really worried more about hepatitis, not HIV. I used to tell my students that if they got HIV from CPR, they were blowing in the wrong place.

Masks are harder to use than it looks.

I used to tell my students that if they got HIV from CPR, they were blowing in the wrong place.

I like that...

The vomit factor... that's a big reason why I'm considering carrying a pocket mask.

I carry my pocket mask in my BC pocket. It makes providing in-water rescue breaths easier given proper training.

I keep a pocket mask in the first aid kit in my truck. If you are concerned about something to protect, yet maintain small size, check your local red cross. I just recertified for my CPR and they had various masks and barriers availiable. The smallest was in a sealed pouch much like a towelette and the largest was the kind that you could attach an 02 source to for ventillating a patient. I would suggest checking either with them or with a local medical supply company.

BTW I don't normally keep one on me when diving because I always dive with people I know. When I am in more hazardous conditions or with people I don't know, I tend to have more safety equipment with me than normal.

Dive often, dive safe

John

The I think the deployment and use of the mask while in the water is difficult, not very effective (try to use the mask in even slightly rough seas). The mask is difficult to keep in place while towing, will contribute greatly to task loading, requires practice. IMO, the best rescue breathing to use while doing a surface tow is mouth to nose. It is much easy to maintain a seal, you can keep the mouth closed during the entire tow and therefore eliminate the chance of water entering the mouth, additionally I feel that the mouth to nose method naturally places the airway in a slightly more open position.

During my rescue class we tried the mask in addition to several different rescue breathing technniques. Everybody in the class found nose to mouth the easiest and surest method.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom