Pls recommend good Bali or other Indonesian dive resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaju

Reaction score
Firstly, let me state that i am appalled by the bombings of Bali.
Infact of cowardly bombers all over.

3 years ago, i went to Bali about 2 months after the bombing, although i was with non-diving friends, i made a point to take 2 days to go diving myself.
Bali was desserted.
I walked into the dive shop and stated to the DM that i would like to go diving.
I was surprised when he looked serious and asked me to take a seat!
He looked straight into my eyes and said, "Before i explain the packages to you, let me first thank you for having confidence in coming to Bali! We live on the tourist trade and for the last 2 months our lives have been miserable!"

I have decided, that my next dive trip will be to Bali, or at least somewhere in Indonesia.

Ok, back to my question.
Can someone recommend a good dive resort in Indoneasia?
Or a nice resort with easy access to good diving?

I'm afraid at this moment i'm quite spoilt having just returned from a WONDERFUL dive trip from the new SMART water bungalow in Mabul/Sipadan!

So, where should i go and stay for good diving, good food and a lovely resort (hopefully with a spa)?

Thanks for your help!

Ju

if interested in Tulamben area, see my report of a couple days ago about diving there. i agree, these latest will not deter me from visiting bali again soon.

Indonesia has so many wonderful divesites. Some are near populous area like Bali while other are in quite remote area.

JonnieB already mentioned Tulamben area which is north of Denparsa, Bali.

Other areas well worth visiting are:
1) Komodo, most likely you will have to fly from Bali to Labuan Bajo or other nearby town. It is best done on liveaboard, very remote, prestine coral reef, good macro and palegics.
2) Lembeh Strait/Bunaken, close to Manado, a pretty good size town. Lembeh has small fishing village scattered all over but no big city nearby. Lembeh has some of the best muckdiving in the world. Bunaken, a small island on the other side of the island from Lembeh has some very nice wall dive, clear blue water and some very good macro.

3) Sangalaki/Maratua/Kakarban: manta capital of SE Asia, Jellyfish lake (similar to the one in Palau). Remote islands with a few scattered fishing village around.

4) Irian Jaya: I have not been there myself but it is the current destination to go, it seems. Very remote, prestine coral reef, some diving around mangrove forest etc.

Personally, I am tentatively planning to go to Komodo next year with a stopover in Bali hopefully to see the sunfish there and I just recently came back from Lembeh Strait last month.

scubaju:
Firstly, let me state that i am appalled by the bombings of Bali.
Infact of cowardly bombers all over.

3 years ago, i went to Bali about 2 months after the bombing, although i was with non-diving friends, i made a point to take 2 days to go diving myself.
Bali was desserted.
I walked into the dive shop and stated to the DM that i would like to go diving.
I was surprised when he looked serious and asked me to take a seat!
He looked straight into my eyes and said, "Before i explain the packages to you, let me first thank you for having confidence in coming to Bali! We live on the tourist trade and for the last 2 months our lives have been miserable!"

I have decided, that my next dive trip will be to Bali, or at least somewhere in Indonesia.

Ok, back to my question.
Can someone recommend a good dive resort in Indoneasia?
Or a nice resort with easy access to good diving?

I'm afraid at this moment i'm quite spoilt having just returned from a WONDERFUL dive trip from the new SMART water bungalow in Mabul/Sipadan!

So, where should i go and stay for good diving, good food and a lovely resort (hopefully with a spa)?

Thanks for your help!

Ju

Ju,

Very nice posting! I hope a lot of people read it.

I just returned in May from SMART on Mabul but stayed in the land chalets. We toured the water bungalos and they looked very nice. We are going back next year. Would you reccommend the water bungalos over the land chalets? Why?
Thank you for your time
Susie

All my friends swear by http://www.baliscuba.com/, located in Sanur. I, however, have only been diving in the Tulumben area with Mimpi Resort. The resort was fantastic although the DM's that I had were rated from only fair to god-awful. I am sure they have gone by now though.

Hi Ju,

From my experience diving in Bali (Tulamben and Menjangan island) you can try Mimpi Resort and Spa. And specific in Menjangan they have natural hot spring water. I suggest if you want to go there, take the DM from Denpasar or Kuta area (not from the resort) that will guide to all dive spot in Bali and arrange your accomodation. It's much more cheaper and high quality DM. I know one DM that can give you such a service (and he's also DM for Komodo).

yes i would
well, i guess it depends on what you are looking for!
the bungalows are new and more 'luxurious' than the land villas
certainly if one was going with one's 'spouse', i would DEFINATELY recommend the water villas.
also because, there are only 12 or so water bungalows, it's much queiter and 'exclusive'... if you get my drift!

however, if you're a hard core diver or if you prefer more social gathering, probably the land villas are better

i didnt inquire about the land villas when i booked via my dive agent, but i think the water bungalows are quite a bit more expensive.
well, i think it's well worth it though!

have a good trip Susie, tell us how it goes!

Scuba Susie:
Ju,

Very nice posting! I hope a lot of people read it.

I just returned in May from SMART on Mabul but stayed in the land chalets. We toured the water bungalos and they looked very nice. We are going back next year. Would you reccommend the water bungalos over the land chalets? Why?
Thank you for your time
Susie

dear all

thanks for all the brilliant ideas
i'll research and look into all the suggestions i got
will keep you updated!

thank you all!

aves28:
Mimpi Resort and Spa. And specific in Menjangan they have natural hot spring water.
If you stay in Mimpi Menjangan it's worth thinking about taking a Courtyard Villa (not just standard Patio Room). With Courtyard Villa you get your own personal hot spring tub in your room, in addition to use of the three public hot spring pools.

Maybe it's just my Japanese wife has somehow hypnotized me into a love of spending long persiods immersed in scaldingly hot water, but I find it incredibly relaxing and the waters are supposed to be good for your skin, joints etc.

And the best thing about a private hot pool ... .you can go NAKED!

Bali-Freak:
...Maybe it's just my Japanese wife has somehow hypnotized me into a love of spending long persiods immersed in scaldingly hot water, but I find it incredibly relaxing and the waters are supposed to be good for your skin, joints etc....
but terrible for DCS if you are doing it just after diving! I don't want to hi-jack the thread - there are others about this topic - but you should be fully de-gassed before boiling yourself or you are greatly increasing your chances of DCS. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom