Please tell me the scoop about the Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I'm interested in taking my diver son to the Channel Islands on a liveaboard this Summer but have no clue which ones are the good deals, which ones will provide the best trip/experience, etc. (Please provide the name of the boat, or a URL, if its on the net...Thanks!)

Are the dives mostly deep? Shallow? (I suppose, like anywhere, the boat can make the dives either, depending on experience.)

What is a decent price per person per night for a trip like this?

When folks do dives to the "Channel Islands" my presumption is that the reference refers to the four Northern Channel Islands....Am I right?

Many thanks,

Sean

You might want to look at the Truth Aquatics boats out of Santa Barbara...check on www.californiadiveboats.com. I have not done a multiple day trip, but friends have said positive things about that operator. There are boats out of Ventura as well, but I'm not sure about the multiple day trips, if that's what you are thinking.

I've done a 3 day trip on a Truth boat (the Conception I think, will have to check my logbook), and can recommend them. The boats are meant for diving - these aren't luxury boats, but the crew is friendly, the food is good, and they go to a variety of dive sites on the same trip - from 30' kelp bumblings to 130' deep sites. Also night diving, and lobstering if it's in season.

Just wish they had nitrox on board.

Channel Islands liveaboard diving isn't for everyone, especially when the conditions are rough. The day trips visit some pretty cool spots such as Anacapa and Catalina. I wouldn't see a need to hit the outer islands on a liveaboard until you have been there, done that, on the closer-in spots with a day trip.

I have seen lots of people sit out the diving on liveaboards due to seasickness and advanced sites. If you get seasick or uncomfortable on a day trip, you'll be in port soon anyway, whereas you may be facing two more days of rough conditions on a liveaboard. The boats generally don't turn around for rough conditions unless it is a safety concern, which means you could have poor vis and snotty conditions for a couple of days.

Spectre has fun day trips to Anacapa out of Ventura, which is a short crossing. Some of the So Cal boats also have fun trips to Catalina. Check out www.diver.net, which has a link to the California dive boats.

- Tom

Take some day trips to Anacapa or Santa Cruz from Ventura. The last thing you want to do is get on a multi day trip when the conditions suck. Spending your time above water is no fun, i would take him out and see if rough seas bother him, everyone is different.

Unless of course he has boat diving exp already. I had the luck of doing a day trip to Santa Cruz on May 9th and the crew said it was the worse sea conditions all season. The boat ride sucked but the diving was very nice considering. from what i head, diving charter boats returned to port after getting out of the harbour that morning. i was on a private 85' dive boat so we went anyway.

Andy

my trip report if you want to read it http://www.scubaboard.com/t27270/s.html

I've been on a 4 day on the Conception, with Truth Aquatics in Santa Barbara. This was to the southern islands

It was my first dives, 4 days after getting my OW last summer. GREAT crew, great food. We had a variety of divers; beginner like me, to 30+ years diving. At least 6 on board were instructors. Always found spots that catered to all. Kelp, deep, sea lions, hunters, and even a few F18's practicing low altitude runs at San Clemente Island.

This isn't a luxury cruise ship, but its plenty comfortable. I'm going on a 4 day again, the beginning of August with them. PM me and I'll give you details, contact info and costs.

Lots to consider....

I appreciate all of the replys...It will help me greatly when making a decision whether to try the day trip, or to go for the multi-day liveaboard....

Thanks!

Sean

The previous advices are wise. Now, assuming you really want a liveaboard experience (i.e. more than 1 day of diving), I would recommend the Sand Dollar for the Southern Channel Islands (Catalina, San Clemente, San Nicholas & Santa Barbara) and the Peace for the Northern Channel Islands (Anacapa, Santa Rosa, San Miguel & Santa Cruz).

Both boats are very similar and offer Nitrox, which comes handy when doing multiple dives. The food is great and the bunks are small. You won't find any luxury boats in the area. But if you like being on the ocean and diving, this is a great experience.

Now, if you're concerned about living on a boat and would like to sleep on dry land at night, here's a great alternative: http://www.scubaluv.com/dive_package.htm

about Catalina. The sleeping on board might be a bit much. How old is you son, Sean? Catalina might give you more options...including miniature golf. :)

Thanks for the idea about Catalina...

My son is 14, and he and I will be on Catalina (but, oddly enough, not with each other...) during the first week in July. He will be with the Scouts, and will go diving with them. I'm diving on a package through Scuba Luv (!!).

The question about the Channel Isl. came from a trip my LDS is putting on...It turns out that it is to the Southern Islands (San Clemente and Catalina...)...LOL

I have a few more weeks to decide how to go....and appreciate all suggestions.

My son did his confined dives this weekend, and goes for his four OW dives next weekend. I'll be doing AOW and Nitrox next week at the same time....

Cheers,

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom