Please Tell me That This is a Joke ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal has leased the Grotto to the folks of Team Scuba fame: Ray Black et al. Ray has done a PHENOMENAL job with the topside, and there are reports that the underside is looking to get the same treatment in a couple of years. I was talking with one Grotto Guide there, and he was surprised that I knew about all of the "fun stuff" down in the hole. After a couple of dozen dives and no changes it's easy to remember where everything is. :D Soon, that won't be the case as Ray's Commercial Dive School gets to recover most of the trash at the bottom of the the Grotto as well as move some of the good stuff around to make way for things like a DC9. It's won't be the same Grotto and that's probably a GOOD thing. :D

All this discussion about fin tests got me wondering. When I got my first pair of Force Fins it took a while before I got the most out of them. I've read some descriptions of the differences in the kicking motion, but they never really made sense to me. All I know is over time the fins got a lot better. I could tell my kicking stroke was changing, but I couldn't describe how.

If the fin testers have not gotten used to Force Fins they may not be getting the most out of them. I wonder how that skews the results?

Hey, I for one apologize if I went that to go here, go there. But your question about what differentiates the different fins can all be answered by going here...:no:wink::lotsalove:

Ha, no seriously, there is quite a few intelligent discussion about this why so many models, materials, etc... over on the ForceFin manufactures thread.

But, to save face some, I will give my opinions on the fins
Original/Pro- great easy to use dive fins that pack light and small, they will do pretty much anything you would want out of a dive fin. I have no held that this is the best all around fin on the market, because its price point is comparable and its performance is wonderful
TanDelta- well this is the performance upgrade to the standard blade, more snap therefore more free energy from the transition. Overall, better than the Original or Pro, but at a price.

Extra Force- this is a maximum uber fin- its fast, its powerful (lots of torque), and it can do precision manuevers (sculling) better than any fin I have used. This is further enhanced by using the forcewings (whiskers) about, parrallel for efficency, in tight for power, out wide for control

Excellerators (the fin that starting this thread)- these were designed to frog kick and as their name implies... accelerate. They frog kick wonderfully (a weakness of the other FF designs) and and outpump a surge with only a quick 1,2 kick. They are not as fast as the Extras, but very close and they kick easier, not to mention they track in the water smoother.

I hope that helps

Perfect thanks...now I have 'enough interest' to go to the MFG forum and do further research.

Hey, I for one apologize if I went that to go here, go there. But your question about what differentiates the different fins can all be answered by going here...:no:wink::lotsalove:

Ha, no seriously, there is quite a few intelligent discussion about this why so many models, materials, etc... over on the ForceFin manufactures thread.

But, to save face some, I will give my opinions on the fins
Original/Pro- great easy to use dive fins that pack light and small, they will do pretty much anything you would want out of a dive fin. I have no held that this is the best all around fin on the market, because its price point is comparable and its performance is wonderful
TanDelta- well this is the performance upgrade to the standard blade, more snap therefore more free energy from the transition. Overall, better than the Original or Pro, but at a price.

Extra Force- this is a maximum uber fin- its fast, its powerful (lots of torque), and it can do precision manuevers (sculling) better than any fin I have used. This is further enhanced by using the forcewings (whiskers) about, parrallel for efficency, in tight for power, out wide for control

Excellerators (the fin that starting this thread)- these were designed to frog kick and as their name implies... accelerate. They frog kick wonderfully (a weakness of the other FF designs) and and outpump a surge with only a quick 1,2 kick. They are not as fast as the Extras, but very close and they kick easier, not to mention they track in the water smoother.

I hope that helps

FREE ENERGY!!! Cool, I need some of that. The perpetual motion engine in my car is giving me trouble and I think this is just what it needs :rofl3:

FREE ENERGY!!! Cool, I need some of that. The perpetual motion engine in my car is giving me trouble and I think this is just what it needs :rofl3:

ok ok, its not free energy, but its energy that would be lost into the unknown of other fins. Its energy that you put into the blade when you flex it, this flex stores potential energy that is coverted back into kinetic energy at the end of the powerstroke. Most fins, just don't have the rebound to actually get propulsive force from this store potential energy, this was clearly shown in the UofB study, flawed as it was.

its free in the sense that your leg has stopped the active motion of the powerstroke, so your not working anymore but the fin is still pushing.

Whoa! I didn't catch that this post was 16 pages long already when I made my comment about all the dandy colors you have to choose from with the fins. I see that ground has been covered already.

Funny thing, I went fly fishing yesterday - floated 8 miles down the Yakima River trout fishing from my pontoon boat. I control my boat with oars and fins (the fins, while I'm drifting and casting). I bought the fins at a sporting goods store a few years back for about a hundred bucks, and have never really looked at them. But after reading this thread, when I put 'em on yesterday, I realized at once that they are Force Fins!

Actually, they are really very efficient for maneuvering the small boat in moving water. They are short, so you can kick while running through shallow water.

Of course, I cut off the straps when I bought them and replaced them with spring straps. Much faster and easier when you have a fish on, kick to shore and want to get the things off fast so you can fight the fish from the bank.

Now that I know I have a pair, I'll give them a dive some day.
skagit%202hp.jpg

Rick, if that is where you live and fish, I, for one, have a very deep and unrelenting hatred for you now...LOL Nice boat, always wondered how those work for fly fishing.

Did you get anything? and glad that you have used FF before, though I think the one used for flyfishing (FF for FF) are slightly different than the scuba ones, but I am sure they are close enough that you might get a feeling for them.

Rick, if that is where you live and fish, I, for one, have a very deep and unrelenting hatred for you now...
[hijack continued..] Spokane is a 2.5 hour from the Yakima. But we're right on the boarder of Idaho, so I'm less than 3 hours from some of the most beautiful, world class trout fishing in the world (it's 1.5 hour drive to Montana): Clark Fork, Rock Creek, Bitterroot, St. Joe, Kelly Creek... and a bunch of pristine places I surely won't mention. :eyebrow:

Last summer we went camping on the banks of the CDA river, which is 1.5 hour drive from the Lake CDA where all the local wreck diving is, and on many of the vacation days I dived and fly fished on the same day.

I'm gloating, so feel free to hate me the more. :D [/hijack]

Some new divers will get suckerd in to buying them. But as soon as their on the boat they will see that all the dive masters,divecon,and dive instructors have the cheaper fins.

Back
Top Bottom