Please read these 2 sides of the story and help me pick a better shop next time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any dive operator in Florida has a captain and a "assistant". In the keys they also have dive masters but their MAIN priority is that you do not go breaking reefs left and right. They are not really there to lead the dive. They are not there to baby sit divers and by all accounts neither dive masters nor boat operators are liable for any harm that comes to a diver... that is why every diver is REQUIRED to sign appropriate waivers that in all practical terms place all responsibilities solely on the diver.

May I ask where in the keys are you diving, I've been there a couple of times and I only know of 2 ops that put DM in the water. The rest the DM stay on the boat gives the area briefing and assist you in and out of the water.

Every time I go to the keys I start diving from Key Largo then Tavernier, Marathon and then in Key West. More often than not there is a DM on boats that I go on. I do not know whether they are there by default or someone paid for them but out of all the times I dove in the keys which would be about 80+ dives... there has always been a DM in the water. On out of country trips (ie Mexico, Belize) there has always been a DM in water too. I think in all "protected" areas DM is required. I know when I dive off Boynton Beach, FL they just give you a flag but reef is not considered protected I do not think.

Every time I go to the keys I start diving from Key Largo then Tavernier, Marathon and then in Key West. More often than not there is a DM on boats that I go on. I do not know whether they are there by default or someone paid for them but out of all the times I dove in the keys which would be about 80+ dives... there has always been a DM in the water. On out of country trips (ie Mexico, Belize) there has always been a DM in water too. I think in all "protected" areas DM is required. I know when I dive off Boynton Beach, FL they just give you a flag but reef is not considered protected I do not think.

That's a very different experience than I have had in the Florida Keys. Definitely nothing requiring them to be in the water. On more than a dozen trips there, they provide support from the boat, never in the water. Perhaps it's something they do on the cattle boats geared toward newer divers?

I was suppose to have guides for my dives? :confused: Boy I screwed that up.

I would question why this newbie diver needs opinions on not only her bad experiences, but someone else poor experiences? Someone who is not identified and can not be questioned? What is the point? It could be fantasy/fiction for all we know.

Getting objective opinions from others based on YOUR Experience is one thing, but this is crossing a line. There are no guarantees. The good news is that most dive Ops are working hard to ensure students have a good experience. There are a finite set of DiveOps in the Bahamas. Get opinions, do research, pick one and let everyone know how it goes.

You have been working on getting certified since 9/2011. You chose a Groupon dive agency which was a mistake. So why are you not certified yet? It has been close to a year?

Diving is not for everyone.

Ron, my responses to your questions are a bit personal but you asked so here goes. The debacle with shop here in Gastonia nc caused a great deal of stress between my husband and I. We wasted $600. We had a terrible experience. It was my idea to do a classroom cert vs online like my husband wanted. We had talked to this shop numerous times as well as shops in kings mountain, Carolina beach and every shop in Charlotte. We went with this one because it was more conveniently located. I had NO IDEA he was offering groupons until we were in clas and everyone was introducing themselves. Everyone else in the class had bought the half off groupon. We paid in July and the only classes starting up were in August. That should have been enough time to get us certified before out trip to Andros on October 20th. We haven't talked about starting up again but it will most definitely be an online course followed by pool sessions with divers supply in Charlotte. The open water somewhere clear and warm. It's going to cost us as much if not more to try this again but the money isn't the main issue (although losing $600 does hurt) but its more about feeling comfortable and getting a great instructor. And Ron, it seems like a legit story and not fantasy. You can find it on tripadvisor under the Bahamas forum.

Thank you soooo much to the other 99% of you that have given such great advice and words of encouragement. I will be diving before too long, I hope!

That's a very different experience than I have had in the Florida Keys. Definitely nothing requiring them to be in the water. On more than a dozen trips there, they provide support from the boat, never in the water. Perhaps it's something they do on the cattle boats geared toward newer divers?

The only 1 that I've been on was the only one that had guides in water and that was Rainbow Reef, I've seen another advertise it lately Pirate Divers but they are a little more than Rainbow. All the others just had DM on the boat, and will not let a newbie dive alone, which meant you had to hire a DM or hope someone was there to dive with.

Heatheroe,
I did my cert training online, and like everyone else, took a shot at finding a reliable, responsible dive operator for my OW training. In my case, I feel I got very lucky when I went with Grand Bahama Scuba (Grand Bahamas Scuba - Meet Fred Riger) and I had a great time diving with them. It is a small, family run shop, not some cattle boat, and Fred and Melinda really do an outstanding job.
My (non-diving, won't get her face and hair wet) wife went out with us a couple of times, and was so comfortable with Fred and Melinda that she insisted I bring both daughters to them when they wanted to become certified. I don't think you can ask for a much better recommendation than that of a mother concerned for her children, and I would happily take my grandchildren there (if I ever get any!).
And, Freeport is easy to get to, and much slower paced than Nassau.
Hope this helps and you guys are able to find an operator you'll enjoy.

KevinL

Sounds to me like the OP is 100% in the wrong.

1. For not taking a refresher course

2. For not making others take a refresher course after not diving for 35 YEARS (that decision is just plain STUPID, and could have put someone's life in danger)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not dove in 35 years I would want them to retake the entire ow course..not dove in 2yrs should have a refresher, especially if very little diving experience from originally certified.

Thank you Kevin!! We haven't been to Grand Bahama yet. We normally go to the less populated islands but I will definitely check it out. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom