Please help me get started...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divepa

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently become interested in learning the DIR method of diving. I am currently a PADI specialty instructor with about 2,000 dives. Because of being an instructor, most of what I do is "the PADI way". None of my dives have gone beyond the $130 foot level. I just recently started reading about DIR and see that it is TOTALLY different (in a good way). I guess I have a few questions.

Will the dive experience that I DO have be valuable? Or is it kind like starting over?

Where do I go first? What are the DIR steps (classes, levels, etc)

If I really want to "dive" into this, how much will this education cost me?

Are there different levels of DIR certifications?

I guess I have alot more questions but cant think of them. I'm basically starving for info about DIR.

Thanks guys!

Mike

http://www.gue.com
Lots of reading to do. :wink:
Whether your experience will be valuable, no one beside your future instructor will know. Assume the worst, then you can be less disappointed. :D

Where are you located? (Fill out your profile)

GUE courses are not (conveniently) available in many parts of the US, although if you sponsor an instructor to come to your location (by putting together a class) it may be possible to go through a fundamentals course in your geographic region should you live where courses are difficult to find.

Step 1 would be to sign up for a fundamentals course. Next would be Tech 1 or Cave 1, but for the moment don't get ahead of yourself.

Your past experience is not without merit, but the point is (as with any course of instruction you participate in) to set aside any preconceived notions and simply approach it with an open mind. Most students get out of it what they put into it, and if you focus I'm sure you'll learn a few things and discover that the course will be worth the time and effort you invest in it.

Regards,

Doc

The GUE website will give you a lot of information.

Entry into the GUE system is through DIR-F, which is a prerequisite for all their other classes. DIR-F cost me $335, although prices DO vary from place to place and instructor to instructor. You will have to have equipment that conforms to the listed requirements for DIR-F on the website, at whatever cost that runs you.

For information about DIR . . . the GUE website is useful, but go back through the DIR forum on Scubaboard and read the DIR-F class reports and some of the other reports (Rec Triox) and a lot of the discussions of "What is DIR", "What is a DIR diver", and the like. I learned a TON from reading all those threads before I took Fundies.

I'm currently taking Rescue from my PADI shop. I will tell you that you will have to relearn some procedures, because GUE does them quite differently. The biggest surprise and delight of DIR-F is the team concept and team execution, and that's entirely other.

Have fun -- these are great people to learn from.

Thanks guys for the info. I will think this is something I could really enjoy.

thanks again,

Mike

Ok. one more really dumb question. I'm not finding any articles on "weighting" for DIR diving. I currently use integrated weights. I'm assuming I can't do that with DIR? Does this mean I'm going back to that ugly weightbelt?

thanks,

Mike

No, it doesn't.

In technical diving if you have issues at depth you solve them at depth. There is no such thing as "drop your weights and flee to the surface". You're in an overhead: either tangible (cave, wreck) or intangible (a deco obligation that will kill you or put you in a wheelchair if you suddenly surface). So, ditching weights and surfacing is not an option.

Ergo, don't worry about "ditchable" weights.

There are a variety of options. They include the weight of the backplate itself, which varies from 1 lb (aluminum) to 6, 9, 12, and 15 lb SS plates (plus a few odd polymer, brass, or titanium numbers). Also, there are V-weights which fit in the V between your two tanks, and P-weights or channel weights that fit in the channel of your backplate. Also called "trim weights", because you use them to achieve optimal trim, you can cut either in half and use either the top half or the bottom half as needed. There are "soft weight" trim weights: lead shot-filled neoprene or nylon tubes with grommets on each end to bolt into place. Use'em if you want to. In my experience whatever can fail will fail, and generally at the worst time. I'll stick with lead bars.

All that said, achieving proper trim is a matter of weight on a lever. Your body is like a lever with the fulcrum at your center of gravity, about 4-5" about your hips. Most guys balance out with some combination of the above. Some, however, need an aluminum backplate and a weightbelt to move the weight further down away from their shoulders. It's a matter of your body type, your physical condition, wetsuit or drysuit, and numerous other variables...no one configuration is right for everyone.

Most guys find that some combination of steel doubles, V-weight, and backplate will meet their needs. Hope this helps.

Doc

Understood. Thanks for the explanation. I'm looking forward to taking the class through GUE hopefully in the spring. I'm about 5'6 (small guy) w/ an athletic build. I weight about 165 lbs. Currently I have an aluminum backplate that I ran across recently. It is aluminum and made by Abyss I think. Is it worth keeping?

Mike

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom