Please help me get started...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my diving is in cold murky water. Probably 1500 dives in that. The other 500 in salt.

Mike

DIR requires a continuous, one-piece harness.

There's a very good article on gear on the new GUE website. It goes into a fair amount of detail about equipment recommendations.

In addition, you should definitely buy Jablonski's book, which you can order from the GUE website. It will outline the philosophy and go into a great deal of detail about equipment, as well as discussing procedures and so forth.

If you decide to do a Fundies course, you can get in touch with the person who will be instructing it and ask gear questions as well. That can save you from spending money on gear that is going to get vetoed when you get to class.

My advice is to never stop asking questions. You will get plenty of sage advice from the Scubaboard members here on the DIR forum. Regards, Kirk

tsandm

Yes, I already ordered the book and am waiting for it. I am completely new to the DIR way of diving. I really appreciate your advise. I actually hesitated making this original post because assuming that people would make their smart remarks.. but figured I'd take the chance. I plan on taking a fundies class at Dutch Springs this spring/summer. Again, I appreciate YOUR help.
Mike

TSandM:
DIR requires a continuous, one-piece harness.

There's a very good article on gear on the new GUE website. It goes into a fair amount of detail about equipment recommendations.

In addition, you should definitely buy Jablonski's book, which you can order from the GUE website. It will outline the philosophy and go into a great deal of detail about equipment, as well as discussing procedures and so forth.

If you decide to do a Fundies course, you can get in touch with the person who will be instructing it and ask gear questions as well. That can save you from spending money on gear that is going to get vetoed when you get to class.

divepa:
Hey guys... can I get your opinion on the the Zeagle Deluxe Backplate Harness System? Here is the link

http://zeagle.com/index.php?submenu...cs&link=backplate_dlx&category=Heavy Duty BCs

What are your wing recommendation? I will be diving double aluminum.

Mike
Good idea asking first. I would have to say dont buy any gear until you talk to your fundamentals instructor.
This is definetely not a DIR rig!
Trust me on this I had to buy my gear twice. THAT SUCKED!!!!!
I realy like my halcyon #55 explorer :14:

Divepa, I thought I was the last diver on the planet to hear about DIR. Welcome to the club. Before my GUE/DIR-F class I thought I knew something about diving. As it turned out, not only was I not a skilled diver but I was also a dangerous diver too. I learned a lot about what DIR diving encompasses during my GUE class. I agree with TSandM; seek out a GUE instructor and get enrolled in a class. Beyond that I found it little more than distracting to read forum boards about DIR; my advice for what its worth is to forgo the reading until after the class. Best wishes, Kirk Hamblen

thank you for the advise. I appreciate it.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom