Please Help looking for advice on Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is always a debate on what to get first on BC/Regs/Computer... It depends on what your LDS rents out and what quality it is. For me, one of my local shops rents the Halcyon H75-P/Halo so I got a BP/W first. My reasoning was my harness was custom sized for me, I didn't have to worry about BC sizing issues, I knew how my wing held me in the water, I knew how it was going to fit me, and I prefer a BP/Wing over a jacket so that is what I went with first. Do you already have a way to keep time and depth? You can get a Hollis DG02 or Diverite nitek for computers for now for 250 and I love my nitek.

If you are in the area of Marianna, FL check out Cave Adventurers. I spent a crap load of time there earlier today asking questions and getting info. The customer service there is topnotch I must say I will be going back there for my next purchase.
Picked up some Dive Rite fins today. (They had one of the best fit for my wonky feet.(slips would have come in second((SP jets just wouldn't work as large was too small... XL was just too huge.))

BTW thank you all posters that chimed in

Edd has some really good prices, but don't overlook used stuff -- Jets can sometimes be picked up for very little money, as can exposure protection.

I'd start with exposure protection, because it has to fit to work, and a computer, because having one of your own will make it easy to log your dives. After that, see if you can pick up a backplate setup from someone who has either quit diving or gone sidemount. Regulators should be last, I think, because you are almost certainly better off buying them new, since the cost of service removes a lot of the advantage of buying used.

Wings and backplates can be interchanged with other brands. EX I can use my Halcyon wing on my Hollis plate.

This is not entirely true. Your Halcyon wing fits on any plate because you are are using a single tank adapter. For wings that have integrated STAs then you need to make sure the slots in the wing and the slots in the plate line up. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 06:44 PM ----------

Jets can sometimes be picked up for very little money, as can exposure protection.

I agree that used gear can save you some money especially items like plates than cannot break. If you are buying a wetsuit make sure the neoprene is not compressed. A suit with stiff compressed neoprene is no bargain at any price.

I'd start with exposure protection, because it has to fit to work, and a computer, because having one of your own will make it easy to log your dives. After that, see if you can pick up a backplate setup from someone who has either quit diving or gone sidemount. Regulators should be last, I think, because you are almost certainly better off buying them new, since the cost of service removes a lot of the advantage of buying used.

I disagree about the computer because to me it is an optional purchase. You can always use a depth gauge and a timer. As far as regulators go it depends. For example I just purchased a Zeagle branded Apeks TX-50 for $80, if it costs another $120 for service (I will do it myself) then the cost is $200. A new Apeks XTX-50 would be more than twice that. However I could purchase a new Hog regulator for $200. So it really depends on the deal. For example, I purchased a Scubapro G250 HP / MK25 with a R190 octo and gauges for $250. BTW It is in like new condition and was rebuilt. That system new would be around $700 or more.

One thing I would recommend is that if you are not in a rush wait until Black Friday and you can pick up some excellent deals.

one thing that wasn't touched on was training, an Open water diver in a cavern/cave environment can get themselves in a lot of trouble fast. I'm nearing the end of my cave training and the odd thing is the more I train in a cave environment the more real the danger becomes to me.

Please take the time to get some dives and follow a training plan to get you from OW, to AOW, Deep, Rescue, Cavern, And then Cave. don't rush it and please don't enter a cave until your certified to be in there or in a training session under an instructors watchful eye.

thanks.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please take the time to get some dives and follow a training plan to get you from OW, to AOW, Deep, Rescue, Cavern, And then Cave. don't rush it and please don't enter a cave until your certified to be in there or in a training session under an instructors watchful eye.

That is excellent advice for anyone. my plan is to get my nitrox as my next cert and kind of slowly progress from there. Right now I'm focusing on honing fundamentals from OW. Before I stack more on my plate.

I feel definitely get a dive comp first. Then BP/W. Lastly regs.

I feel definitely get a dive comp first. Then BP/W. Lastly regs.

Ok, this may sound really dumb, but again, I'm a total newb: Are the power inflator connectors standardized? What I mean is, if I buy a bc, then go on a dive somewhere other than with my usual rental place, with the inflator on my bc always be compatible with their regs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You're very close to our North Florida/Panhandle cave country. Lots of springs and cave systems there...and you're only about an hour or two away from it all!
I have family in Dothan and am in Panama City often. Send me your info if you ever want to dive last minute when I'm up visiting there. Vortex is a cool training spot, more like a huge playground for OW people. You also obviously have the Gulf just a couple miles south of you too for all your ocean and wreck diving needs.

If you're on a budget, I prefer all HOG gear. It's very high quality gear and can take a beating. My first setup was a HOG Backplate/wing, HOG regs (can get a full set for about $300 new), and I'm still using my original style mask/fins/boots from years back in all diving types (OW, Cave, etc). There's no need to spend big bucks on masks and fins. Mine both cost me $30/ea. Shop around :wink: I'm still using my original HOG regs without issue, and swap back and forth between multiple BCs. Since you're basically in Florida... unless you get cold easily, a wetsuit is fine for most of our spring and ocean diving. If you want one that will last, get a stretchy Henderson wetsuit.

You are also close to one of the best dive shops around, Cave Adventurers up near (down for you) Jackson Blue Springs and they can work wonderful deals for you if you shop right.

Ok, this may sound really dumb, but again, I'm a total newb: Are the power inflator connectors standardized? What I mean is, if I buy a bc, then go on a dive somewhere other than with my usual rental place, with the inflator on my bc always be compatible with their regs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That is actually not a dumb question, If you have a standard inflater (Not the integrated inflator/octo types like the AIR 2) then yes everything is standard. If your BC has an integrated octo then no it is a special connector. Personally I'd get a bp/w and stay away from the integrated inflator/octo's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom