Please help Identify

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Matt, it is not a felony to take things from the Oriskany? NetDoc talked to the authorities and they said it was.

Diver Dennis:
So Matt, it is not a felony to take things from the Oriskany? NetDoc talked to the authorities and they said it was.

My post was probably less than clear. It does appear (based on NetDoc's post) to be a felony and what I meant was that the previous poster's suggestion was ludicrous. No one was suggesting that you never, under any circumstances, take anything from the ocean. I (and others) were only suggesting that you follow the law and not commit a felony.

Apparently that is asking too much for a Jersey diver...

What metal is it?
If it is silver or gold and recent it should have a stamp. From the picture it looks like it used to be a necklace, due to the hole in the top.
The pattern is also relatively symmetrical, yet not centered around the hole. It looks like it was produced by rolling soft metal over a patterned roll and then cutting it round and a hole in the middle that did not end up quite centered. So perhaps not one of a kind, but does not look machine made. Looks interesting.

It is either the first gold coin of a huge lost native american treasure, or a gumball machine toy. :)

good luck,
A.

blacksambellamy:
Oh, well everyone has their opinion and in the meantime my shelves will keep filling up with trinkets.

Once again you are ascribing arguments to us that we are not making. Whether it is illegal to take something off of the Oriskany is not an "opinion". The state of Florida has made pretty clear that it is a felony.

But hey, once again, you're a Jersey diver...

I didn’t think this was a post about the Oriskany........ Anyway, the piece looks like aluminum; it also has a pattern so it might have been punched out of a bigger piece. I am now thinking that this is just an escuscion of some sort off a piece old appliance or something silly like that. But if anyone else has any ideas please respond. Thank you for the legit responses.

Corey

The ocean is my Wal-Mart! Anyone who finds something down there that's worth a damn and leaves it is a sucker...brainwashed by the powers that be...it's all being reclaimed by the ocean people...over time ALL of it will be gone. Why leave it down there? First it will be encrusted...then it will be dissolved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom