Please help ID this hp 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We (Airspeed Press) were all set to do it last time around, but then PST woke up and did it (with a little encouragement from the DOT who would really rather not have to deal with a use exemption with thousands of parties).

I'm enough of a geek to think this might be an entertaining project.

All weights are approximate and there can be significant variations from cylinder to cylinder. The tank weighs 33 pounds when empty. In the water it will be -8.5 pounds full of air and -1 pound when nearly empty.

It's looking like the PST E Series cylinders are going to start becoming wind chimes in the Spring of 2011. The cylinder will be out of hydro in 09/09, the exemption (E9791 updated to SP9791) will expire in May 2011 unless it is renewed - which appears unlikely. If the exemption is not renewed the cylinder will be condemned at hydro and removed from service.

This seems odd, I have a steal 72 made by PST that is much older which is still in service. I feel like I got ripped off!!! I paid 200.00 for a tank that I can only use a year or so.

This seems odd, I have a steal 72 made by PST that is much older which is still in service. I feel like I got ripped off!!! I paid 200.00 for a tank that I can only use a year or so.
*sigh*

Your steel 72 is NOT going to turn into a windchime as long as it isn't made under E9791...which I don't believe it was (especially if it says "DOT3AA 2250") on the side.

If it does your cylinder should last forever as long as it passes hydro and you treat it nicely.

*sigh*

Your steel 72 is NOT going to turn into a windchime as long as it isn't made under E9791...which I don't believe it was (especially if it says "DOT3AA 2250") on the side.

If it does your cylinder should last forever as long as it passes hydro and you treat it nicely.

So what is the deal w/ the E9791? Why the exemption failure?

So what is the deal w/ the E9791? Why the exemption failure?

I am under the impression that DOT exemptions are time-based and must be renewed every few years (every 5 for this one, I believe?) for the cylinders manufactured under that exemption to still be legal.

As far as I can tell, the cylinders manufactured under the exemption are perfectly fine...the only reason they would be "illegal" to fill is if the exemption paperwork expires.

DOT3AA cylinders (2250psi and 2400psi LP cylinders) are not under an exemption and will be good until the cows come home. :)

Personally if I owned any E971 cylinders and it looked like there was no way to have them remain "legal" I would have them hydro'd right before the exemption expires, get my own compressor, and fill them as I wanted to, giving Uncle Sam the finger...but that's just me...

I am under the impression that DOT exemptions are time-based and must be renewed every few years (every 5 for this one, I believe?) for the cylinders manufactured under that exemption to still be legal.

As far as I can tell, the cylinders manufactured under the exemption are perfectly fine...the only reason they would be "illegal" to fill is if the exemption paperwork expires.

DOT3AA cylinders (2250psi and 2400psi LP cylinders) are not under an exemption and will be good until the cows come home. :)

Personally if I owned any E971 cylinders and it looked like there was no way to have them remain "legal" I would have them hydro'd right before the exemption expires, get my own compressor, and fill them as I wanted to, giving Uncle Sam the finger...but that's just me...

So your telling me that brand new E series takes could be non serviceable in 2011? This smells like a maneuver to sell more cylinders!

Last edited:
So your telling me that brand new E series takes could be non serviceable in 2011? This smells like a maneuver to sell more cylinders!

What "brand new" E9791 cylinders do you have? Do not confuse Faber and Worthington E cylinders with PST. Each manufacturer has their own E number.

DOT Exemption 9791 ("E9791" that is stamped on PST cylinders) is specific to PRESSED STEEL only. It does not apply to Faber, Worthington, etc. It was stamped on their true "HP" cylinders (3500psi) and their later E-series cylinders rated for 3442psi.

Pressed Steel is essentially no more and hasn't produced brand new cylinders for a few years now.

When we say "E-series" we are specifically talking about PST cylinders of the "E7" (E7-80, E7-100, E7-120...all 7.25-inches in diameter, thus "E7" meaning "exemption, 7.25-inches diameter") and "E8" line (E8-119 and E8-130, all 8-inches in diameter).

It is certainly not a maneuver to sell more cylinders, since PST is incapable of doing so.

Arrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I'm learning here, slow, but we're learning.

I'm gonna switch my reg to din and enjoy the tank as long as i can.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom