Please help ID this hp 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnAC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I bought this hp 100 steal tank this weekend from a brother in San Diego.

He said he purchased it from leisurepro under the Genesis brand name. The first vis looks to be in 2001.

I want to know what the buoyancy characteristics are as well as the manufacturer. Thanks for your help.
DSCF2836.jpg

DSCF2834.jpg

Okay I'm slow, I found a cylinder spec sheet that answered my questions.

PST 100, 3500, -1.3 empty -8.8 full.

Thanks to all those who post on this forum for the newbies!

Last edited:
All weights are approximate and there can be significant variations from cylinder to cylinder. The tank weighs 33 pounds when empty. In the water it will be -8.5 pounds full of air and -1 pound when nearly empty.

It's looking like the PST E Series cylinders are going to start becoming wind chimes in the Spring of 2011. The cylinder will be out of hydro in 09/09, the exemption (E9791 updated to SP9791) will expire in May 2011 unless it is renewed - which appears unlikely. If the exemption is not renewed the cylinder will be condemned at hydro and removed from service.

It's looking like the PST E Series cylinders are going to start becoming wind chimes in the Spring of 2011. The cylinder will be out of hydro in 09/09, the exemption (E9791 updated to SP9791) will expire in May 2011 unless it is renewed - which appears unlikely. If the exemption is not renewed the cylinder will be condemned at hydro and removed from service.

True - I'm purchasing PST "E" tanks for their scrap value and I'll pay the shipping inside the continental 48 states.

It is true that in the event PST does not renew the exemption, the tanks will be removed from service at the next hydro test. But that is only the case if no one else submits the paperwork - it does not have to be done only by PST, an individual company, shop, etc can also submit the paperwork for the renewal.

Perhaps it would be best to get them all hydro'd a month before the exemption dies, then fill off your own compressor if you own one. Stupid government regulations and paperwork. :rolleyes:

To the OP -- from the looks of it it would appear you got a cylinder in good condition. If you get a chance, check out the inside for possible rust and corrosion.

A friend of mine has a PST HP100 from the late 80s, I believe. It still had the original huge round PST sticker on there that we removed, and it was apparent no water had ever gotten underneath it, as the incredibly shiny original galvanized finish was still present. It looks quite odd...a mottled gray finish on the rest of the cylinder and this bright shiny area on the other part.

It would be a good idea to remove all the stickers on the cylinder except for the VIP stickers -- if the original stickers or older VIP stickers get water underneath this can hide and speed up corrosion.

Condemning and removal from service are two entirely different things. A tank can be removed from service without being condemned. In the case of a tank with a failed exemption it CANNOT be condemned (by a hydro shop, that is, dive shops can do any nutty thing the customer will let them it get away with) because it cannot be accepted for testing with the exemption expired, and if it cannot be tested it cannot fail testing. So it must be simply removed from service, but not condemned.

The reason for this, is that condemnation is irrevocable, but the possibility always exists that the exemption may be renewed at a later date; if a shop was to condemn the tank and X out the markings because an exemption expired, then the tank could never be retested and used even again if the exemption was belatedly renewed. As happened not too long ago with both Asahi and Norris.

And at the risk of being repetitious I should probably also mention yet again that having the tank hydroed just before the exemption expires will not help because the tank becomes DOT- illegal, and can no longer be refilled, when the exemption expires not when the hydro runs out. However a simple avenue exists for renewing the exemption even if PST doesn't, so the 9791s are NOT going to become wind chimes.

the exemption is not renewed the cylinder will be condemned at hydro and removed from service.

It is true that in the event PST does not renew the exemption, the tanks will be removed from service at the next hydro test. But that is only the case if no one else submits the paperwork - it does not have to be done only by PST, an individual company, shop, etc can also submit the paperwork for the renewal.
It's true that anybody with standing can submit a renewal application. I don't see that happening, however - submitting an application doesn't mean it will be approved and it will be frightfully expensive for anybody but the manufacturer (who already has most of the data needed) to gather the required supporting documentation and organize the paperwork. It won't be cost effective for a dive shop to do this on their own, especially since allowing the existing special permit to expire will generate the sale of replacements. Somebody might do it out of the goodness of their heart but they are going to have to have deep pockets or no business sense, or both.

If you've got a compressor in your garage, there are going to be a lot of these for sale - cheap. If you don't have a compressor, you're probably going to be SOL.

Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe Worthington will step up to the plate and renew the exemption on the cylinder that kept them out of the market for all those years...:D

It just isn't a big deal. Believe me, I wish it was, since I'd love to snap up a bunch of 9791s at 5¢ on the dollar.

Read my other posts about this, or call the DOT exemptions branch if you want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. I've discussed this with them several times over the years, and they always assure me that it is just not a problem - the procedure to renew the exemption just to use the tanks is easier to get than one to manufacture them (not that that would be very hard, either, with one which has been arout for 15 revisions the way 9791 has been). Once anyone has renewed it, then anyone else can be added as a party to the renewal. We (Airspeed Press) were all set to do it last time around, but then PST woke up and did it (with a little encouragement from the DOT who would really rather not have to deal with a use exemption with thousands of parties).

Note that the history they request is the history the applicant is "aware of", and hence only applies tanks under the applicant's contro since that is all the exemption will cover. So there's no expensive data gathering, just a simple statement that you have had not incidents involving the tanks. Note too that since the use exemption covers only the applicant's tanks, the applicant is not exposing him or herself to any liability for any other tanks.

It's true that anybody with standing can submit a renewal application. I don't see that happening, however - submitting an application doesn't mean it will be approved and it will be frightfully expensive for anybody but the manufacturer (who already has most of the data needed) to gather the required supporting documentation and organize the paperwork. It won't be cost effective for a dive shop to do this on their own, especially since allowing the existing special permit to expire will generate the sale of replacements. Somebody might do it out of the goodness of their heart but they are going to have to have deep pockets or no business sense, or both.

Back
Top Bottom