Please Help a Newbie Pick his Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikey7

Reaction score
Hi, For all practical purposes I am a complete newbie since it has been 30 years since I last went diving. And then it was only a few times. Anyway, I have just gone through a serious illness that did a lot of damage to one of my lungs so I will be starting out just doing a lot of swimming Snorkeling and shallow free diving. In about 4-6 months I want to progress into scuba.
I would like to find some gear that will be suitable for me to use while I get in shape and that will still work well for me when I start actually diving.
I have looked and looked at Fins Masks and Snorkels but have no I dea which will work best for me. I don't want to take the recomendation of some salesman who just wants to sell his gear. Any suggestions will be welcomed. I have been looking at Mares and Cressi equipment, but there are so many designs out there for fins Snorkels and masks that i am totally confused.
Since I will be living off the coast of Nicaragua I won't have access to new gear so I want to try and find something that I will be happy with for my training and beyond.
Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh and if anyone wants to Dive the reefs off the Nicaraguan coast let me know Company will be welcome.

I'll jump in really quickly here...

Mask - one that fits your face and doesn't leak
Snorkel - since you want one for snorkeling not just diving...go with one with an easy to use purge valve...you don't need anything really fancy but some sort of "anti-splash" cover on the end is nice.
Fins - simple is again likely the way to go...stick to something tried and true...paddle fins like Jets will likely grow with you from swimming to diving at a high a level as you want to persue.

Good luck!

Brian

hI, I'm new to the game too. I use a jacket style bc, helps alot with buoyancy control, a mask that fits. Actually, I kinda have a big head so I looked at big masks, supprisingly a relatively small mask fit best. I have scuba pro twin jet fins, they are great, effortless kicking, only draw back is price. I hate snorkels, good luck with those (always in the way). I personally love henderson hyperstretch wet suits, the most comfortable I have ever tried.
I don't know that much, my equipment was based upon fit and finish for me. It seems, most scuba equipment is good, so go with what you like, there are to many opinions out there to be overly conscerned.

Mask - comfort and fit are the most important considerations. Low volume with no purge valve are also nice features.

Snorkel - a simple J works best. Anti-splash guards and purge valves are not necessary nor desired.

Fins - Jet Fins.

I'm a big fan of Jet Fins, but I hear splits are great for surface swimming, so you might want to give those a shot.

edit: as for the snorkel, I much prefer a "dry" snorkel over a regular J for snorkeling... and you don't really need one for scuba, so...

I can teach you how to use a snorkel and you'll never want to use a "dry" snorkel again.

Well it looks like the Jets have overwhelmingly won out. Probably the J snorkel too. Masks seem to be just a personal preference as long as they fit so I'll just look til' something strikes me L. I really appreciate the help. And like I said before if anyone wants to try the reefs off Nicaragua let me know Best I can tell theres a lot of unexplored reef there.

Walter once bubbled...
I can teach you how to use a snorkel and you'll never want to use a "dry" snorkel again.

Why do you prefer a staight J for snorkeling? What do you do to keep the annoying "gurgle" of water cleared? I have used both types myself and found a very simple purge was much easier to keep clear than just blowing everything all the way "up the pipe" everytime I got water in the tube. I agree for diving that a snorkel is largely unneccesary and if one is taken, the straight J is the way to go but heck...I like the improvement on the basic snorkel for snorkeling and freediving.

I'd really like to hear your hints and tips.

Brian

It's not an improvement, it's an excuse not to teach people how to use their equipment as well as a reason to charge $50 for something that should cost less than $5.

First, you don't need a snorkel that is completely clear. The first pool skill I teach my OW students is how to breathe through a simple J with the J completely blocked with water. After learning that, it's handy to learn how to clear a snorkel completely. Blasting a snorkel never clears it completely. You completely clear a snorkel using the displacement method. Snorkels with purges are resistant to this easiest of all clearing methods. As you are heading for the surface after a surface dive, simply puff a small amount of air into the snorkel. As you ascend, the reduced pressure will cause the air to expand, completely clearing the snorkel. Keep the bottom of the J up until you break the surface, then snap it over, the snorkel is totally clear.

Fins- I use both Split and Hinged fins. I know alot of people swear by Jets. All are good depending on what conditions you are using them in.

The biggest thing is to try to find someone that has gear so you can sample it before you buy it. I know this is tough. I have bought a lot of things twice because you just can't tell by trying it on at the dive shop.

Mask- I agree with everyone on the mask. Make sure it fits. All the dive shops can do a really good job with fitting you. Take your time. Take every mask in the shop and put it on your face reguardless of color and shape. The one you may not like the looks of may work the best.

Snorkel - Impulse 2 is probably the most popular snorkel but there are others just as good if not better.

Check the prices carefully. This is your highest cost at the dive shop. Be carefull.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom