Please help! 1938 Navy Telephone Amplifier for Underwater Communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ins0mniac

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello to All.
I am new and was referred to this site and can see that there are many knowledgable people here. I purchased this item at an estate sale and am looking for information or value. I don't know anything about it and am unable to find info online as well. Is this a very rare item? I am mainly trying to see if there is any value to this or desire from the Scuba community.
I am wondering if this would have been used in WW2 and what they use something like this for? I understand it is for underwater communication but I am wondering specifically what this would be used for? All I know about it is the owner was a diver in the era of WW2 but don't know his name unfortunately. As you can see it is used and has some corrosion to it. It looks like it used to be grey and still has some of the grey paint but a lot of it is missing. It is also worth saying it is extremely heavy for the small size. On the outside it has a brass plate which reads "Navy Yard Number: 108-7588" Is it possible to find out where this was used? Also it says "Year purchased 1939, Cost: 732.00", is that right for cost? That seams like a lot of money in 1939? Help please?
Thank you,
Nicole
Pictures are here:
http://myyardsalepick.com/?page_id=216&preview=true

They were used to communicate with hard hat surface supplied divers. Wires along with the air hose connected it to the diver. Nice collector piece but of no use to a scuba diver. You might try to sell it on ebay in the militaria section. Similar units are still in use today by commercial divers. Realize that in 1939 it was specialized electronic technology and that came with a high price.

2 Channel Diver Communication System « S.A.T Systems ? Manufacturer Commercial Diver Communication Systems | Hyperbaric Chamber Communication | Professional Diving Communications

Thanks for posting the great pics.intresting find, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, there were no integrated circuits or even transistors in those days. It probably has vacuum tubes inside and a strong chassis which makes it heavy for its size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom