Please advice me on purchase. Down to four regs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geniuz:
Been doing a lot of reading here on ScubaBoard and have visited three LDS's over the past two days. I'm going to buy my first reg. I want to have one of my own which I trust and know has been serviced etc.

I narrowed down my choices to:

• Mares Metal Tech Limited Edition
  • Mares Abyss 2005
  • Aqualung Legend LX Supreme
  • Mares Proton ICE

They all range in about the same price-catagory. I will be diving and in the Caribean and also in The Netherlands (cold water). I'm also thinking about deep diving in the future so I want a reg that's prepared for that too.

The Abyss 2005 has the disadvantage of the heavy first stage but I can get it for a good price, but then again the price is not that relevant here. I tend to go for the Metal Tech Limited Edition, not because it's limited (I don't care about that) but the second stage is 60% less heavy than ordinary stages. For the Aqualung I also heard tremendous stories and the guy which runs my dive-club uses it. He seems very pleased with it.

As you can notice I'm a bit confused and am having trouble deciding which one to buy. Please help me out!! Can I go wrong with either one of them?

HELP I'M LOST! :06:

Greetz!

Sjoerd

The Aqualung. Hand's down. The LX supreme is one of the best regulators money can buy right now. If it's within your budget, then buy it.

R..

rescuediver009:
I would think that the first time there was a leak in the first stage (obviously whoever set it up for you just pulled it out of the box) youwould have had it fixed by now.... I have never heard of this nor have I heard any other complaints of this nature about the apeks regs.
Obviously, you're jumping to conclusions.
Who told you that it was there from the beginning and wasn't fixed the first time? It just happened again after being fixed the first time. And was fixed again. :wink:
BTW, the exactly same issue happened to my buddies DS4 as well. :11:
I guess you live and learn, eh? :D

Geniuz:
Thanks guys for all your advice and suggestions.

Out of my four choices popped up another one: the Apeks.

Still I decided to go with one of my innitial four choices and I'm going for the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme.

The main reason is the positive reply's to this regulator. Second (but important) reason is that I can have it serviced at my local dive-club (also LDS) which is official dealer for Aqualung.

But again thanks for all your imput. It has been real helpful!

You made a good choice and you'll be happy with it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom