PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Becker is probably the smallest one, but you'd need a pretty fat can for that. Like, 4"/100mm ID. It's wider by a substantial amount than everything else on the market. That's ooooooold canister light territory. Like, late 90's/early 00's xenon can light territory.

It gets you a radio along with a PLB, but both battery options are only guaranteed to be greater than 24 hours (as is every PLB. I'm not sure why you want the greater temperature range unless you plan on deploying it in the arctic. It's not like it's going to double the transmit time.

Why would you want a Class 1?
P.S. the manual for that unit is at MR509/2-
Its dimensions are 162x90x47. For comparison my FastFind is 106x47x34, and the PLB 400 is 115x52x38.
The difference between Class 1 and Class 2 is the battery. A Class 1 battery is larger and does not just operate at a lower temperature, it would transmit for a longer time than a Class 2 if both are deployed at the same temperature.

If you dive remote parts of the world, SAR may take some time to get to you. A larger battery may be preferable for some people.

There was another PLB that was available in both Class 1 and Class 2. It was one if the Mcmurdo Fastfind PLBs, but I forgot which.5

How fancy is that? Water or manual activation, PLB with two way radio on two bands, etc. I don't see a price. Is it for military only?

Avail for adventurers. Check the Youtube on the site. It’s big and expensive!

It’s big and expensive!
I'll bet. I'd expect battery service to be high, too. It's amazing how much authorized battery service prices range so much for my ACR 2881.

Just getting more people to carry $300 PLB is challenging enough. It'd help SAR so much if more did.

I'll bet. I'd expect battery service to be high, too. It's amazing how much authorized battery service prices range so much for my ACR 2881.

Just getting more people to carry $300 PLB is challenging enough. It'd help SAR so much if more did.

I travel nowhere without mine! On the AT and in the ocean. Still looking for the perfect case though.

Good to hear so many are choosing to carry a PLB.

FWIW, and it could be meaningless, but I just had my first battery service on my ResQLink and the tech told me ACR bought Ocean Signal, the makers of the PLB1. I could foresee the PLB1 being phased out, or not.

ACR Acquires Ocean Signal

I highly doubt that PLB1 being phased out. It is unique for being the smallest PLB in the world. ACR just made a new skin for it, as shown below.

6AFEEBD0-AB84-4CD3-8A20-244E6E17751E.jpeg

I’m working on making the smallest PLB canister with cavity dimensions of 2” ID x 5” IH (2.5” OD x 6” OH) for my PLB1. I’ll be sending my drawing to plastic machine shop on Monday. Hopefully it will be done in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom