PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spend more than $150 on gas for a single dive, I think I can swing it. Especially since it includes SAR insurance.
Okee dokee. There are many reports of messaging failures without notification, but whatever. For less than $300, you could have a PLB with much greater reach - but if you're happy, I'm happy for you.

Did I mention that SAR does not charge?

Okee dokee. There are many reports of messaging failures without notification, but whatever. For less than $300, you could have a PLB with much greater reach - but if you're happy, I'm happy for you.

Did I mention that SAR does not charge?
SPOT vs. PLB
0.4 vs. 5 watts
$150/yr vs. $0/yr

Apples/oranges comparison.
SPOT talks to LEO satellites, so less power is needed than with a PLB.
However, SPOT is not global. Network / Satellite
But, SPOT allows messaging....which can easily be worth $150/year to many folks.
Arguments from companies (like ACR) selling PLBs are hardly compelling....
Your best approach is to talk about the advantages of your favored system, not dwell on the possible disadvantages of some other system. Stick with relevant facts, not dubious assertions and opinions and personal needs.

This is directed at both @Dan_T and @DandyDon, who are both in danger of pushing their favored alternative so strongly and often that it drives people away.

Are any of the spot units waterproof (even to 1m)?

I have both an Inreach and an ACR PLB. If I am diving and need the "ruh oh" canister the PLB goes in it every time. For remote cave diving I bring both but mostly use the Inreach to report back home "Out of the water for the day"

Apples/oranges comparison.
SPOT talks to LEO satellites, so less power is needed than with a PLB.
However, SPOT is not global. Network / Satellite
But, SPOT allows messaging....which can easily be worth $150/year to many folks.
Arguments from companies (like ACR) selling PLBs are hardly compelling....
Your best approach is to talk about the advantages of your favored system, not dwell on the possible disadvantages of some other system. Stick with relevant facts, not dubious assertions and opinions and personal needs.

This is directed at both @Dan_T and @DandyDon, who are both in danger of pushing their favored alternative so strongly and often that it drives people away.

Question was asked. Answer was given. I’m just sharing the info that is already available out there. I don’t make it up. Glad you clear up why low power is used for SPOT.

Unfortunately a little too shallow for any of the ACR devices: Dimensions - Interior: 5.75” x 2.75” x 1.25”, Exterior: 7” x 4” x 2”. Even the little PLB1 (the thinnest) is 1.3" thick.

Had a guy once tell me he keeps his in an old dive light that he got on ebay for like $10, with the batteries removed. Works like a charm he said :) Forgot the name but one of the big bulky ones obviously.

Had a guy once tell me he keeps his in an old dive light that he got on ebay for like $10, with the batteries removed. Works like a charm he said :) Forgot the name but one of the big bulky ones obviously.
That's a good idear.. I like it better than the "old camera housing" method.

I've had a SPOT for several years; supposed to be basic waterproof 1m. I bought it for backpacking in the wilderness; has served it's purpose well (there's an "OK" message you can tailor online and send with a button that lets anyone you send it to keep track) and my wife used the emergency button once when she hit a deer at night in a very remote highway way away from cellphone range.. I have been considering a PLB for awhile; I have the original Nautilus lifeline and have carried it on all my open ocean dives. I hadn't thought about putting the SPOT in a canister.

Back
Top Bottom