Playa for a day or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be in Cancun in April and will be doing a couple 2-tankers up there along with some snorkeling. I will have a car for a couple days of the trip and was wondering if it was worth driving down to Playa to do a dive or two down there or if I should just stick with Cancun if the Playa diving is negligably different than Cancun. If it's worth it to head to Playa, can anyone recommend a good operator?

What about snorkeling? I'm probably going to book with Aquaworld...just looking for a laid back, see the fishes diving vacation.

Drive south of PDC and go to Pt. Aventuras...dive Dos Ojos or Chac Mool......its worth at least doing it once.

Some of the cavern diving is fairly elementary. If you have proper buoyancy there are outfits that take divers for a 'tour'.

Paula

there are operators that take "novice" cavern divers on tours 365 days a year, they know what they are doing and they dont kill or hurt anyone. 99% of people that go to the caverns are awestruck to the point of being speechless by the time the come out of them. I would go with one of the larger operators direct from Cancun, the Aquaworld Tour is by far the most professional tour there.

I know as I cave dive with the guides on the weekend.

Use your car rental to visit Tulum and the ruins etc, it is a day well spent and you can get a great meal in Playa del carmen on the way back.

Cenotes aside, PDC diving has nothing special to offer. Cancun diving is, on balance, as good or better.

The cenotes are definitely worth seeing, and the dive tours that are given are well & safely run. It's really no big deal. You are in sight of an exit during these dives. Their fatality rate is about zero.

IMHO, however, PDC is well worth heading to on the way to see the ruins at Tulum & Coba. Both are excellent, and you can can hit PDC for a walk about & lunch or dinner--lots of neat places to eat.

Isla Mujeres is a ferry ride from Cancun. What a contrast--very undeveloped & laid back. I wouldn't go for the diving, but makes nice day trip. Rent a golf cart & go see Garafon Park, even do some snorkeling there, and see the beaches up north. Have lunch in town at one of the many small, inexpensive & good eateries.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

There is a drft dive right off Isla Mujeres that is awesome. One of the largest elkhorn coral reefs in the carribean. Also get yor picture with the underwater goddess of "whatever" it's a pretty cool island and not the crowds..........JK

We were in Playa in Nov. If you wanted to see the town go at night and walk around 5th street. During the morning the town is still in bed from the night before. Its not as hoping as Cancun but different and relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom