Playa del Carmen to San Pedro, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al303

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Me and my smarter half will be in Playa del carmen for a few days, renting a car and driving to San Pedro, Belize. Anybody know how long the drive is? Road conditions? How are customs? Ect...

We have 7 days to play with and we don't want to be in one place more the a couple of days. (yes, we have been to both places, and with the traveling, only plan on a couple of days of diving along the way. More of a sampling the local beer get-a-way more than anything :)

Any help would really help.

Al

I doubt you'll be able to take your rental car across the border.

I agree, I don't think you can take your rental into Belize. But I can tell you the bus trip is safe and comfortable. From Playa to the border is 5 hours. Once you're in Belize, go to the first town on the water which in Corazol (Not sure the spelling). It's only like 20 minutes down the road from the border. Here you can take a ferry over to San Pedro. If you go all the way into Belize City (Ugh!) you can take a ferry over to San Pedro as well. And Belize City is another couple hours down the road once in Belize. The bus running there is an old school bus that stops alot to pick up people. This was my experience. There may be other ways to get there. Either way, good luck!

A couple of months ago, I took a few freinds from Playa to Belize city. We rented a jeep from Europcar. They said it was okay to take to Belize. Had to get extra insurance at the border though.
Took the ferry to Caulker Caye to do the turist thing.
Long drive, about seven hours one way. The border can be a hassle also. Especially when two of the girls forgot their tourist cards. Oh well, still a fun trip!

My boyfriend & I did this trip in August 2006.
We did not have a rental car. We took the bus and it was fine. We stopped in Mahahual for a couple days then continued by bus to Xcalak and stayed a few days there. (Xcalak has some amazing diving.) The dive shop in Xcalak, XTC took us by boat to Belize.

It was an amazing trip. If I was to do it again, I would spend more time in Xcalak, because of the diving.

I posted a very long, 5 part trip report. Here is part 3, you might find some useful info.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/156458-august-trip-report-part-3-xcalak.html

Back
Top Bottom