Playa Del Carmen...does anyone have a "Dean" report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlmainer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have a "Dean" damage report from Playa Del Carmen area after the storm?

BTW I know Playa is NOT Cozumel, but if we have a thread for every hurricaine effected city in Mexico........

Screw it what do I care.....

FYI The damage is relatively minor north of say Tulum and it gets worse the further south you go to the point of the landfall of the eye of the storm. I know thats not very specific, but untill the members who live down there start to chime in on a more regular basis your info is limited to CNN and the weather agencies......

Thanks.....I had checked the Coz forum and didn't see anything on Playa. The reason I went to Mexico forum is that in the past if I asked about Playa on the Cozumel forum someone always either moved my post or told me to go to Mexico forum.
Thanks again for the info.

As far as I saw today walking around, the damage in Playa del Carmen was ZERO!! hehe. Seriously, I have seen more rain and wind from a regular bad storm here. The ocean was a bit stirred up and the port remained closed on Wednesday. Diving is to resume by most operations tomorrow, Thursday. Cenotes diving was back on track already. The biggest problem is the lack of divers so COME ON DOWN!! From what I've gathered from my colleagues, diving is really good after a hurricane. Less viz, sometimes stronger currents, but the fish life is different and stuff comes out of the woodworks.
Blowing bubbles...

divinglife:
As far as I saw today walking around, the damage in Playa del Carmen was ZERO!! hehe. Seriously, I have seen more rain and wind from a regular bad storm here. The ocean was a bit stirred up and the port remained closed on Wednesday. Diving is to resume by most operations tomorrow, Thursday. Cenotes diving was back on track already. The biggest problem is the lack of divers so COME ON DOWN!! From what I've gathered from my colleagues, diving is really good after a hurricane. Less viz, sometimes stronger currents, but the fish life is different and stuff comes out of the woodworks.
Blowing bubbles...

Can't wait!!! Thanks for the info. I was getting a bit nervous. I know cozumel is just across the waterway from Playa del Carmen, and is doing well, but then again I've seen rain his one side of the road and dry on the other side in the Keys... So...
ARRIVING SATURDAY!!!! POOLS OPEN ON SUNDAY! Should have booked a longer vacation, sounds like there is too much to squeeze in. First time in Mexico.
Jill

Thank goodness the hurricane didn't track through Playa/Puerto Aventuras. I do feel sorry for those that are down in Chetumal and in Mahahual, things on the local news reports don't look good. I am sure that everyone there will regroup and have everything ship shape in no time.

Dennis

Poor Mahahual!! I saw the picture in the Mexico newspapers. the Port looks like Cozumel after Wilma...and they were just getting "online" as to nice small resorts....I understand the entire town of Majahual is gone....

Boy the diving was really First rate!!Tough to see the shore go.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom