Playa and Cavern or Intro Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Playa in mid March and I hope to take a IANTD Cavern or Intro class. Can anyone make some recommendations on a operator. I will be staying at Occidental Grand Xcaret and was looking to be picked up and dropped off. I also hope to do several other days of diving. Should I do some open water dives or stick with the Cenotes?

My friend Jason Renoux (essentialscubatraining.com) is an IANTD instructor. He's a delightful person and an absolutely beautiful diver. People I know who have taken classes from him have praised him highly. I don't know whether he will pick up in Playa, but you can write to him and ask.

Whether to do open water diving or stick to the cenotes depends a bit on how much you enjoy them. For me, there is better reef diving elsewhere, but the caves are unique and I love them, so I spend my time there cave diving. For someone with less warm water reef diving experience, or for whom the cenotes do not hold the magic they do for me, a mixture of the two might be more enjoyable.

Of course, it's hard for me even to conceive of someone who would pick reef diving over cave diving, where both were available :)

I highly recommend Nicolas Casella from www.cenotexperience.com.mx He gets excellent reviews here on Scubaboard and Tripadvisor. He will pick up and drop off. He is on Scubaboard as CenoteXperience, so you can pm him with any questions you have.

Agree with Lynne's recommendation for Jason--he's a good guy. Also consider the guys at Protec.

I'd also consider Protec. Their instructors are some of the most experienced in the area and offer high quality courses with a strict adherence to teaching standards. They're also a fun group of guys who really enjoy sharing their love of the caverns/caves.

email frank@bluelife.com

they have one of the best outfits in the area. i am sure they can make arrangements for pick up. i have used them and a few people from here have used them recently. all good feedback. hard to find anyone more experienced than frank. check them out on trip advisor as well if you like.

Second for Nicolas from Cenote Experience. He was picking us right from the hotel and all trips were perfectly organized.

Have heard good things about Jason who Lynne recommended and also Protec. However based on prior personal experience I did my Cavern last November with Nico from Cenotexperience. Picked me up and dropped me off each day at my hotel in downtown Playa. Full review of the time I spent with him is here - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/438519-cavern-cert-playa-just-got-back-trip-report.html

We'll be back for our annual trip this fall and I'm hoping to complete full cave at that time! PM me if you have any other questions.

Brian.

Scuba Playa is a great shop in PDC. They offer full cave courses, etc. Great staff, really accommodating and professional. Erick was my OW and AOW instructor and he is absolutely fantastic.

I dove a handful of the cenotes around Tulum without having done a cavern course, just having my AOW cert and demonstrating good buoyancy control. Some of those cenotes near Tulum are not to be missed -- Angelita, Carwash and Calavera were all completely out-of-this-world stunning. It's a hike from PDC but they are hands-down some of the most incredible dives I've done. For that -- and if you want to get a cavern cert with easily the best tech and cave diver I've ever encountered, go see Nihls at Dream Diving in Tulum. They're on the main drag downtown, a small shop he owns with his wife. He is PHENOMENAL, and extremely reasonably priced as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom