Plastic Valve Stem Solvent to Remove Fused Bits From Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I broke off the plastic valve stem from my valve. Then I butchered it and broke it into bits inside the threads trying to get the broken piece out. I spent a bunch of time scraping out what I could. Then I used a pick down the threads to get out the rest. That stem was really locked in!

I got most of it, but I can still see tiny bits of black inside some of the threads that seems to be fused there. My shop doesn't carry those larger diameter stems so they are ordering me one. In the mean time, here's my question.

Is there a solvent that will safely remove, melt, dissolve the plastic without hurting the valve metal and plating? I don't think the new stem will screw in smoothly unless I get all the remains out.

Try a spray can of brake or carburator cleaner and a small brass brush. You can also use a dental pick to get in the vally of the threads. Never saw a plastic stem. I think I would consider a different valve with a metal stem.

Back
Top Bottom