planning trip to akumal, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi there, am planning a trip to akumal. can anyone recommend dive operators? any tips and advice? favorite dive sites there, etc. etc. thanks so much.

Hi there,

I would suggest trying Dennis (aka Pez de Diablo) at Diablo Divers. We used his expertise during our dives of the ceynotes in April and were very satisfied with his work. I have only heard good things about him on this board. We used Akumal Dive shop for most of the other diving, but I was not very impressed with them.

http://www.diablodivers.com/

DSDO

We loved Akumal and the Akumal Dive Shop!! Of course, I have very little experience & little to compare it to. I've only dived with about 4 operators. Have you been to Akumal before? We're planning another trip in October/December. If you have any questions about the area, let me know.

donnad:
hi there, am planning a trip to akumal. can anyone recommend dive operators? any tips and advice? favorite dive sites there, etc. etc. thanks so much.

hi there, thanks for your response. no, we haven't been to akumal, but have been to cozumel, also have stayed on the coast down there before and went to tulum and xel-ha. had a great time. we weren't divers at the time. i have been corresponding via email with akumal dive shop and have gotten very quick courteous replies. the dive shop is about six minutes from the hotel we have booked they tell us. i'm excited. i think we will do three day dives, one night dive and one cenote dive. any advice, etc. you have will be appreciated. will be staying at the bahia principe akumal.
Wannabee:
We loved Akumal and the Akumal Dive Shop!! Of course, I have very little experience & little to compare it to. I've only dived with about 4 operators. Have you been to Akumal before? We're planning another trip in October/December. If you have any questions about the area, let me know.

Just noticed you're from Sugar Land. We live in Clear Lake!! Small world. Anyway, I've read good reviews of Bahai on locogringo. You'll love the "town" of Akumal. It's so laid back & peaceful. If you like a good happy hour with incredible views, try La Buena Vida in Half Moon Bay. Lol Ha, just down from the Akumal Dive Shop is great, too. Did you say when you're going? I'm still trying to plan a trip for October or November, and I think we'll end up in Akumal, or possibly Bonaire. We were looking at Anthony's Key in Roatan, but airfare is sky high!! Fun Jet has prices to Cancun that are too hard to pass up (not my first choice for airline, but the price is right)!

thanks for the info! going on a funjet deal! october 20th (the thursday to sunday thing) got a great deal!!
Wannabee:
Just noticed you're from Sugar Land. We live in Clear Lake!! Small world. Anyway, I've read good reviews of Bahai on locogringo. You'll love the "town" of Akumal. It's so laid back & peaceful. If you like a good happy hour with incredible views, try La Buena Vida in Half Moon Bay. Lol Ha, just down from the Akumal Dive Shop is great, too. Did you say when you're going? I'm still trying to plan a trip for October or November, and I think we'll end up in Akumal, or possibly Bonaire. We were looking at Anthony's Key in Roatan, but airfare is sky high!! Fun Jet has prices to Cancun that are too hard to pass up (not my first choice for airline, but the price is right)!

Have fun!! Let me know how the trip goes when you get back! Hope you made it through Rita okay. We just got back last night & fortunately all we have are some limbs down and we're missing a fence in the backyard!!

made it through fine! thanks! lost power for about five hours, some limbs down. that's it, thankfully!!
Wannabee:
Have fun!! Let me know how the trip goes when you get back! Hope you made it through Rita okay. We just got back last night & fortunately all we have are some limbs down and we're missing a fence in the backyard!!

There are 3 shops in Akumal. They all basically offer the same services at similar prices. Akumal Dive Shop, Akumal Dive Adventures, Akumal Dive Center.

There are many threads, if you go back to last spring, saying how much they liked Akumal Dive Adventures.
They are located next door to the La Buena Vida restraunt on Half Moon Bay.

Most dives are single tank dives about 10 minutes from the beach. You can buy packages for 10 or 12 tanks plus 2 cenote dives for a good value. If you pay as you go, it will cost a lot more.

Diving in Akumal is nothing like diving in Coz. Akumal has very mild current, small coral formations, but still plenty to see if you look closely.
The Cenote diving is really cool, and a nice balance with the Akumal boat dives.

All have websites.

Akumal has incredible beaches, great restraunts, is close to Tulum, Coba, and Playa del Carmen.

Have fun!!!
Dd :14:

We went to the Akumal Beach Resort in July. We dove with Venta Diving and actually obtained out advanced open water certs with them. The diving was awesome but I'm new at diving. We did several dives and a night dive and used Venta Diving located at this great, small awesome resort. If I can help you, let me know.

Nurse shark, giant turtles, and amazing fish. We are going to Cancun for a quick trip November 25 - 28th and I'm actually looking for a good company to take us out.

Good luck and I wish I was going to Akumal. It is more our style. Just don't have a lot of vacation time left.

Tina Strickland

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom