planning trip to akumal, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie:
There are 3 shops in Akumal. They all basically offer the same services at similar prices. Akumal Dive Shop, Akumal Dive Adventures, Akumal Dive Center.

There are many threads, if you go back to last spring, saying how much they liked Akumal Dive Adventures.
They are located next door to the La Buena Vida restraunt on Half Moon Bay.

Most dives are single tank dives about 10 minutes from the beach. You can buy packages for 10 or 12 tanks plus 2 cenote dives for a good value. If you pay as you go, it will cost a lot more.

Diving in Akumal is nothing like diving in Coz. Akumal has very mild current, small coral formations, but still plenty to see if you look closely.
The Cenote diving is really cool, and a nice balance with the Akumal boat dives.

All have websites.

Akumal has incredible beaches, great restraunts, is close to Tulum, Coba, and Playa del Carmen.

Have fun!!!
Dd :14:

There are more than 3 shops in Akumal. One I use is Aquatech. www.cenotes.com

I'm heading down in December for my 5th year in a row. We cave dive, but this time we're adding two days to do some topside sightseeing.

I forgot about Aquatech. I had the others saved on my computer.
As mentioned above, some of the AI's, like Akumal Beach Resort and Ventadive, have dive ops as well. Unless you concentrate on cave and cenote diving, they all offer similar ocean diving experiences, schedules, and prices.

thanks for the input!! our trip is in nine days now! getting excited! we are going with akumal dive adventures, will do 3 day dives, 1 night dive, then the next morning will do a cenote dive with Hidden Worlds. cant wait!! thanks again everyone!
Divedoggie:
I forgot about Aquatech. I had the others saved on my computer.
As mentioned above, some of the AI's, like Akumal Beach Resort and Ventadive, have dive ops as well. Unless you concentrate on cave and cenote diving, they all offer similar ocean diving experiences, schedules, and prices.

If you are looking for info on Akumel, go to locogringo.com. It is a super web site with tons of info and forums.

Bring money because credit cards are not taken everywhere. I had to hit the only cash machine around every few days.

Cash & travelers checks are better because if you do use a cc there's a hefty fee too.

thanks everyone. scheduled to leave on thurs. (oct 20), but am worried about tropical storm wilma down there. i wish she would just go on across central america and get out of the way! but they are projecting her to cross the yucatan right when we are supposed to be there! we are booked on a funjet deal, so we have to see what they decide. fingers crossed!! sure do want to dive and have decent weather!

Back
Top Bottom