Planning to to Grand Cayman Or Cozumel End of May... Need Guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been to Cozumel 3 or 4 times and it was great but I really love the Caymans, but we usually look for less pricey and more diver-dedicated places to stay. On Grand Cayman we usually stay in a 1-bedroom apartment (on the beach, but not Seven Mile Beach) with a full kitchen so we cook some of our meals and prepare some of our own beverages.

On GC we rent a car and go snorkeling and shore diving, and also do some boat diving. On the sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman we tend to stay at small, diver-dedicated, all-inclusive resorts with food and boat diving included. The Aggressor also runs a Cayman liveaboard dive trip and sometimes they will offer a discounted price.

But if you have found a great rate then this may be your chance to stay at a gorgeous 5-star resort in a beautiful location with great diving, then you should go for it - and Seven Mile Beach is truly beautiful.

But you should go into it with your eyes open, comparing the GC Ritz to a Cozumel dive vacation is "apples to oranges." You will be in one of the most expensive hotels on a very high-end island.

Even if you've found a great rate at the Ritz, it will still be pricey. There is likely to be a daily resort fee per person and if you are staying in a hotel room then you will have to eat out 3 times per day and that will really add up. You are from Boston so I am sure that you are quite familiar with very expensive hotels and restaurants, but keep in mind that the US dollar is only worth 0.80 cents in Cayman so that makes things even more costly.

Also be aware that although the Ritz is a gorgeous property - it's huge - and many of the rooms are not on the beach and some are in a building across the street. There is an overhead walkway so although won't have to cross the busy street you may have to walk a distance to get to the water.

But as others have said, if you plan to do more Caribbean diving then you are likely to visit Cayman sooner or later, so this may be a great opportunity for you. Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Last edited:
Two great destinations. I have been to both a few times.

Here is my point of view:

Seven Mile Beach is a great beach, and the Ritz section is very spacious. No real beaches like it on COZ. You can walk it for hours. So for after diving, to chill on a beach, or relax oceanfront in the evening, GC gets my vote.

Cozumel diving is fatastic, particularly the sites up around Palancar. Epic scenery. Most Coz dive ops go there regularly. The best diving on GC is the North Wall and up around the NE corner. Not everyone goes there, and conditions are often a determining factor. A ton of good dive ops on COZ, too many to name here. If you do GC and stay at the Ritz, Red Sail is good and convenient. There are lots of interesting dive sites on both GC and COZ. Neither will disappoint as a destination dive-wise, particularly if you get to the abovementioned areas.

For restaurants, night life, entertainment, etc., the islands are very different. GC is upscale and quiet. COZ is earthy and buzzes a little (like PDC). If you want to dine fine and relax, GC. If you want to stay up a bit later for some spice and variety, COZ. Grand Park Royal on COZ is a nice resort. Casa Mexicana is very popular and right downtown.

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all this great info and insight into this subject. I have been researching a lot for past couple of days and have indeed found out lot of differences between both places. It does seem Grand Cayman will work out much more expensive for our whole trip. And we really enjoyed above water activities in mexico last time hence we have decided to go to Cozumel for this Trip. I really do appreciate everyone's input and time as it helped me so much to understand the bigger picture. I have narrowed our stay and Diving in cozumel between Casa Mexicana and Tres Pelicanos Or Blue Angel for both. Hopefully can decide soon.

Hi All,Thank you so much for all this great info and insight into this subject. I have been researching a lot for past couple of days and have indeed found out lot of differences between both places. It does seem Grand Cayman will work out much more expensive for our whole trip. And we really enjoyed above water activities in mexico last time hence we have decided to go to Cozumel for this Trip...

Have a great a trip but do plan to visit the Caymans some time in the future, just don't pick the Ritz for your hotel! There are options for enjoying a Cayman dive trip more economically, see the link below for some examples.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7799499/

Fantastic Thread and a great read. Very informative as we are so new (but still addicted bad) to diving vacations. Thank you KathyV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom