Planning to to Grand Cayman Or Cozumel End of May... Need Guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vic K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I have been a lurker on this site for a while and really enjoy lot of threads here. Me and Mrs. are planning to go to either Grand Cayman or Cozumel in the last week of May and thought if someone could assist us. We already have the accommodations figured out so all set on that end. I have been doing all the planning to go to Cozumel as we dove in Playa Del Carmen and Tulum last year and we loved it. But suddenly got an unbelievable Ritz Carlton rate on 7 mile beach In Grand Cayman so was completely intrigued if I should change my plans as never been to Grand Cayman also.

Little bit about us. We both got our OW and AOW last year near Boston area(...I know it was not fun). Got about 12 Open water dives logged there. Then in November we went to Playa and Tulum and logged 14 dives in Open waters and Cenotes and absolutely loved it. We both don't need all the time hand holding but little attention is nice. Coming from Boston we absolutely loved the under water visibility, which was around 60-70' at all times I was told Anything more would be greatly appreciated. We loved the nightlife and walkability in Playa and beautiful beaches in Tulum. We enjoyed diving a lot but also loved the atmosphere of Playa where you had so many options for different bars and restaurants so close by. Not to mention you could find budget eating options if we needed to.

So I guess I need help with first is do you think it is better or smarter to go to Grand Cayman with our criteria having not gone so far to Cozumel. I am not sure how the weather and diving conditions are in either place. Also if we do decide to go to Grand Cayman what would be a good Dive Operator Recommendation near 7 mile beach as that is where we will be staying(FYI we went with Risas Diving in PDC and it was fantastic. very small operation and it was only myself and Mrs. on all the days with no one else). Also is it fairly easy to get around on 7 mile Beach? Is 7 mile beach fairly active with Restaurants and Bars? Not to mention how are the diving conditions usually in last week of May to 1st week of June?

Any Guidance with the post will be greatly appreciated. If I forgot to mention or provide any info please let me know.

As for weather, visibility and overall diving conditions at that time of year, you can expect them to be pretty similar and certainly not dissimilar enough for that to be a deciding criteria. In my opinion, you can't go wrong either way. I have done 2 trips to each and am back to Cozumel again late April. Here are some thoughts I have: Overall, your costs for diving, food and other entertainment will be significantly less expensive in Cozumel. You can definitely do your Cozumel trip and stay downtown and everything you will do can be done without a car or needing to rent a car. I would personally not want to go to Grand Cayman and not have a car to get around. The overall vibe and cultural experience between 7 mile beach and downtown Coz are polar opposites. 7 mile beach is just that: A long stretch of beach and road/highway dotted with hotels, restaurants, shopping and boutiques. Downtown Coz is more like a typical Spanish style plaza layout with streets on a grid. I prefer Coz by a long shot in that regard. There are a number of great dive operators on Grand Cayman and you will likely get a number of very solid recommendations. My personal favorite for very personalized attention is Grand Cayman University Divers. In fact, most days, it might only be you and your wife or at the most 2-3 others. That is how Brad runs his op. Here is a link: Grand Cayman Scuba Diving with Cayman U Divers
Diving costs on Grand Cayman are all pretty much the same- not much variance between operators. You would have better shore diving options on Grand Cayman, if that is something that interests you. Again, you would need a rental car for that. Hope that helps some.

Hi Trailboss, Thank you for quick and insightful response. I have been doing some research and finding out the trip to Grand Cayman will be significantly more expensive. I still have not given up on the Cozumel Trip as that ways I can divide some Time in PDC as well get some dives again with the company we are familiar with, Get our fix of nightlife and then move on to Cozumel and do some great dives there too. I have seen lot of threads for Cozumel with multiple Dive operators mentioned and quite a few hotel recommendations with Casa Mexicana Fitting the bill for us.

So I guess we have to just decide How much we would like to spend on the Holiday and if Diving will be pretty similar may be stick with Coz rather than going to Grand Cayman.

I think the diving is different, as in Coz it's mostly drift diving from what I read, not personal experience. Went to Cayman Brac last month, hoping to go to Coz next year.

At the end of May, on GC, you will almost certainly be able to get out to the north wall. If so, the diving is quite spectacular in terms of steep dramatic walls and great viz. I was at GC in December and we did drifts or unidirectionals on the west wall most days. Preety good but not quite like north wall diving.
Both Coz and GC have similar reefs coral species and animal life, but the north and east walsl on Cayman IMO, tops diving Coz.

Having said that, GC is quite bland above the shoreline in comparison to Coz.

I like both but if you are on a budget, GC is far more expensive.

Sorry to be so indecisive but this is trying to compare apples and oranges.

So I guess I need help with first is do you think it is better or smarter to go to Grand Cayman
That's probably still pre-Hurricane season (at either) I believe we were in Cayman around Memorial Day and except for a few showers it was generally hot and sunny - not really any wind either.
Also if we do decide to go to Grand Cayman what would be a good Dive Operator Recommendation near 7 mile beach as that is where we will be staying
Honestly anyone that is suggested here. Bad ones don't last. Service is a differentiating factor as is diver load. Many have boats way oversized for the 6-8 divers max they advertise - they really do.

Since you mentioned getting around - every operator working SMB will have a van pickup included in the dive price. Most also clean/store gear if desired. Most work out of a dock location though - not any sort of retail store. Of all the dive operators listed here I can only think of 6-7 with permanent facilities and 4 of those are also shore dive sites at a dive resort. Cayman Islands Tourism Association - CITA Member by Watersports/Dive Sector Downside of them all being good, all are priced about the same 2 dives/$100+ is pretty standard - a 4-5 day package saves a little.

My personal recommendations are almost always the same, Neptune's Divers, Ambassador Divers, Wall to Wall Divers or Divetech for tech divers. All are 6-8 divers max. But someone else will post a completely different, equally competent list of their favorites. I never had a dive canceled due to low diver count - sometimes that's been 4.
Also is it fairly easy to get around on 7 mile Beach?
It's one road from town/airport thru SMB to West Bay. For part of it there's a parallel road about 2 lblocks inland. And another that meanders all the way east then NE almost all the way back west (except for the Sound) Driving is on the left (British colony) and cars are available in either drive. We thought we'd be smart and rent a RHD - but it was trickier than we though thru the rotaries. We rented from Andy's at the airport - they also have an office on south SMB. There's also a bus/van system - Bus schedule Cayman Islands
Is 7 mile beach fairly active with Restaurants and Bars?
Yes, Besides the resort bars/restaurants, I don't think you can walk a 1/2 mile w/o running into one. My Bar at Sunset House - the dive resort south of town - is the diver's bar. Spend an afternoon there, pictures with the Mermaid statue in 55', a small wreck and lots of shallow reef. Also the Cathy Church Photo School/Store/Gallery is on-site.

Not to mention how are the diving conditions usually in last week of May to 1st week of June?
Should be good, rained a little early morning but clear and humid all day. Not enough to change any dive plans. We also had a pretty windless week, that more than anything determines diving conditions on the north side.

Factor in some shore dives also - it will save you money and there's some good ones. Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, Cobalt Coast are worth the drive north (10mins. from the Ritz) I already described Sunset House and Eden Rock/Devils Grotto are in town - but 500' from the cruise port so sort of tired. Also last fall a container ship scraped 160' of reef clean and collapsed one of the Eden Rock caverns - IDK how it is now.

Last edited:
But suddenly got an unbelievable Ritz Carlton rate on 7 mile beach In Grand Cayman so was completely intrigued if I should change my plans as never been to Grand Cayman also.

Cozumel is famous as a budget (and good) dive destination.

Grand Cayman is famous as a rather expensive (and good) dive destination.

Sounds like you guys enjoy diving and plan to keep doing it. So, taking the long view, you will probably eventually hit both these destinations, right?

You've got a one time unbelievable low rate at the Ritz Carlton on 7 Mile Beach, at the expensive destination. Cozumel will still be there when you get back.

I'm too cheap and not drowning in money enough to even realistically consider booking at a Ritz Carlton, but if you like it, and you've got a great rate, the means to take advantage and it's worth it to you...

Seems like the decision kind of makes itself...assuming staying at the Ritz is a big deal to you guys.

Richard.

We've done Cayman many times, but not Coz as it's never seemed like it would be our thing. Haven't stayed at the GC Ritz, but have eaten and wandered around there. As has been pointed out, a trip to Grand Cayman is likely to be much more expensive overall than Coz, even with a good hotel rate. What's the great rate at the Ritz? Airfare and cars often aren't bad. But boat diving can add up, as will eating out unless you make a serious effort to eat cheaply. (A car isn't "necessary" if you stay at the Ritz or other places on SMB, sure there's things you can walk to. But it's helpful if you want to have more/cheaper food choices, do any shore diving, or see the island. You could probably save way more on food than the car costs.)

If you enjoy diving and will do periodic trips, you're bound to do Cayman sooner or later. So perhaps this comes down to how much you're dying to stay at the Ritz. Also how important beaches and close restaurants and stuff are, vs. how much your trip is about diving. The classic question "is it a vacation with diving or a dive vacation?" may apply here.

The thing about luxury hotels, much as I like them, they're not always my preferred base for a dive vacation. I like someplace nice, but I'd prefer a more dive-oriented place with a short schlep to the room that isn't through a marble lobby. Ideally with a good convenient dive op and facilities, shore diving if I can get it. Other divers to hang out with at the bar later that we probably met on the boat. It's just a whole different atmosphere. So maybe if I was just going to do a 2 tank each morning, or just some mornings, and otherwise hang at the beach and stuff, I'd go for something like the Ritz. But my preferred places on Grand Cayman are Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point, or Compass Point. All of which compromise on beaches and convenience to other things, but are great if you're more focused on the diving.

Red Sail Watersports has a desk at the Ritz and offers on-beach pickups for some activities. Dive Red Sail Cayman | Red Sail Sports | Grand Cayman | Cayman Islans

They're one of the operators with flat bottom boats which allow them to do that for local West Wall diving but for the North Wall will still pick you up by van in front of the hotel - the flat bottoms don't work so well for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom