Planning first trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been reading this thread with interest because I would also like to go to Roatan for the first time myself, sometime this year. I’ve heard anecdotally that sand fleas can be an issue. I would greatly appreciate input on the sand flea situation on the island. Are they prevalent just say around West Bay where there are sandy beaches?

Are they prevalent just say around West Bay where there are sandy beaches?

I don't think so. I was at CocoView Resort in May, used a pump bottle of Deep Woods Off decently but not rigorously, and wasn't bothered. I thought they weren't bad...till a fellow diver, a woman on the same boat, told me about the damage they'd done to her back. I think she'd used some sort of repellent.

So be mindful the bugs may have a taste for some people over others. Southern Roatan isn't known for sandy beaches...but evidently, it's got 'noseeums,' too.

@parrotfish91 You’ve heard that anecdotally?

Anecdotally? Is that a fancy word for “it’s written on a sign” as you walk in through customs?

yeah. Sand Fleas are everywhere in the Caribbean, but the Bay Islands has the Best Sand Fleas per the SDM Readers Choice Awards.

We went to Turquoise Bay in August of 2017, there were essentially no sand fleas on the beach.

Wow. Hope they share the secret or at least sell it.

I've had trips where eaten less and more. Do follow avoidance instructions regarding times day, where not to walk and stand and where to expect more of them, not less, etc.

I've found that using a very thick layer of an oily product works better for sandflies than a deet product alone. The thick oil around my ankles and calves drowns the little beggars before they can bite you.

When it comes to repellent alone, I go for the highest deet percentage that is available. The percentage of deet deals with how long it will last before you need to reapply. If you prefer to go with a lower percentage of deet in your chosen product, do not forget to reapply early and often.

I love Roatan, by the way.

Wow. Hope they share the secret or at least sell it.

I think the beach is man-made and fleas weren't there originally, all they have is adventurous strays from the other end. They just need to spray the place daily to make sure the strays don't stay.

OTOH the last time we stayed the beach was full of cruisers 6 days out of 10 so who cares.

Been to Roatan twice in the last 6 years, specifically the west end, never once had a problem with sand fleas..... but my wife did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom