Planning first trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I stayed at Anthony's Key in the northwest (Sandy Bay); it was an AI (except alcohol/snacks) and it was a great experience and I would gladly go again. You were assigned to a boat so the DM/captain were the same throughout and so was your dive group had two people join later but after we lost a pair due to sinus issues (definitely not crowded). Our DM was excellent as he was a local and his father had also been a DM there; our captain was also excellent. Other than being bussed to the other side for a few dives (due to weather) we didn't leave the resort. We had one DIN reg and there was no issue having tanks available, but yoke was the most common configuration.

“Cara a Cara” is the Roatan Shark Dive.

As with most any canned, pay-per-gawk dive, it attracts divers who are of every level.

If you embrace that fact, operating this dive in a way that might cause some to hang the titles of “cattle boat”, as ill-defined as that may be... running it as a cattle boat is likely the single most appropriate way to do this.

The DMs have any number of divers who:

- have difficulty in organizing their pre-dive routine
- entering the water upon command
- can not safely execute a negative entry or
- require exaggerated time on surface before descent
- require additional time equalizing
- have buoyancy issues at bottom during the show
- inability to space out on the ascent line
- difficulty in re-entry of ladder
- challenge throughout by mild current often found at dive site

All this is complicated by heavy air consumption likely due to the above, plus the Sharky-Sharks excitement.

Then, the DMs have to control the Go-Pro Pros. Stop flailing, don’t leave your assigned position...hey...what are you doing?

There are several ways to access the Shark Dive. TBR is but one. They are essentially all the same.

The differences between the various charters become apparent when you see the specific competence levels of divers that they attract or service. Some simply will not bring “walk-ins”, such as cruise ship divers or divers they have not hosted on previous dives. TBR requires only that you show up.

The original guys who did this were referred to as “the Italians”. They put 10 divers in a small, open boat, at the dock you were instructed to “get yourself together”, and off you went. At the mooring, “get in, go down”. Ascend on the mooring line at 1000psi minimum, or earlier. Get yourself into the boat with the assist of the Captain.

That methodology works well if all have adequate skills. Since that is no longer the case, since the dive now attracts (and accepts) divers with paper c-cards, the world has to slow down to accommodate.

it has become, as with any similar tour dive, similar to Mary’s Place, into one of those “ok, kids, hold the string” outings.

This is not to defend or attack any dive op, nor diver, it’s just the way things have to be.

Many visiting divers ask for (want) an “extra special experience” over and above the norm.

This “good stuff” is really only offered by knowledgeable DMs who have evaluated your abilities over multiple trips, over some years. Then they know (hope, believe) they can handle our ineptitude in difficult situations.

On Roatan, right next to your well known dive spots, there are hidden environments that include crazy-tight squeezes, prolonged overhead environments, stuff you simply are not even told about. Many DMs have never themselves seen them, they’re so busy leading tourist dives.

Whether it is their reluctance to taking you near delicate shallow coral gardens or not knowing that you by-god will hold onto that line in current, they avoid complications. Normal.

The Roatan Shark Dive, just as any Shark dive, worldwide, is best handled as a cattle boat.

All that being said...I’ve been along on maybe 20+ Shark Rodeos. The Roatan model is among the best experiences, to a great degree due to the serendipity & confluence of a number of factors, not the least of which is the local reef structure.

It is well worth the experience. But, the first time you have a chance, in “the wild” encounter, you will quickly relegate this to a been-there-done-that got-the-t-shirt experience.

What you just said about it being the best way to handle these types of dives is exactly what I was saying. Maybe my use of the term cattle boat was a bit harsh. What I meant by that is you are literally shoulder to shoulder on the boat and everyone gets in all their gear before the boat leaves the dock. They did a very good pre dive presentation and everyone stuck to the plan. Like I said in my post, it was a very good experience. Also what you say about a chance shark encounter is true. Diving here in Florida I see sharks on almost every dive so it has become no big deal. On one of my dives last month out of Jupiter I saw a Tiger Shark for the first time and that was pretty cool!

Let me clarify...The shark dive was not with the same dive shop I did all my other dives with. From what I know, the outfit I did the shark dive with out of Turquoise Bay is the only one that does it so all the other shops book it through them.

Interesting... we stayed at TBR twice so far and both times we were told that the shark dive is done by some other outfit, TBR will just deal with the transportaion there and back, and the money (so we don't have to pay a separate bill in the other shop).

Interesting... we stayed at TBR twice so far and both times we were told that the shark dive is done by some other outfit, TBR will just deal with the transportaion there and back, and the money (so we don't have to pay a separate bill in the other shop).
I’m sorry, I got the fishing charter location mixed up with the location of the shark dive operator. The dive operator was out of the south end of the island. We had just done a fishing charter out of Turquoise Bay the day before.

Again, it was a great experience and like doc said, running the shark dive the way they did is really the best way to do it when you have all levels of divers on the boat.

I did the shark dive through Media Luna a couple years ago. It was not a bad experience by any means. The pre dive briefing was very thorough and the crew was very professional. I was under the impression that they were the only shop “ licensed “ by the marine park to do the shark dives. Perhaps I was wrong , who knows!

I am heading to Anthony’s in June and wonder. Do they also do the shark dive mentioned above?
Cdncoldwater thank you for the info on DIN availability. I was going to drag an adapter with me but would rather save the excess weight for something more useful.

I am heading to Anthony’s in June and wonder. Do they also do the shark dive mentioned above?
Cdncoldwater thank you for the info on DIN availability. I was going to drag an adapter with me but would rather save the excess weight for something more useful.
I would bring it if you can; my boat was good and had a lot of convertible valves but there were a few valves that had tight (almost seized) conversion pieces so that could be an issue. Better to have and not need than need and not have. On my next trip, I will pack an adapter and leave a few articles of clothing behind as they have laundry available.

Yes, the Shark dive can be done from AKR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom