Planning a trip to Thailand - safe to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spog, you're a jammy git being out in thailand! bet the weather's a damn sight better than up here in bonnie scotland!

'Jammy' ? How dare you sir! I'll have you know that my being here is a result of hard work and perserverance...no, it's not good, I can't lie anymore. I'm a jammy git, it's true!

No more miserable Brits, I'm surrounded by lovely Thais, nice warm sun and cheap diving is just 3hrs from my doorstop!

Nice one, Im surrounded by happy scots at the moment gloating over the footie results lol. Where to you diving Spog?!

"Happy Scots"....something doesn't quite feel right about that phrase...unless footie is involved!

I dive out of Pattaya - I did the Hardeep last week. Strong currents going in and got stung by a jelly - but good fun!

The hardest part about going to a dive shop in Pattyland is that many of them are in the bar districts (they always claim it's a coincidence). You walk down the streets with 3,000 baht in your hand for a day's diving, but I can't help thinking about the fact that 1,500 baht will buy you 2 hour's 'entertainment' with a 'lady'.

It's something to think about.....

'lady' with an adams apple?!!
stopped over briefly in pattaya the last time, didnt get a chance to scuba though as only there 2 days.. is it worth a dive?!

DORSETBOY:
'lady' with an adams apple?!!
stopped over briefly in pattaya the last time, didnt get a chance to scuba though as only there 2 days.. is it worth a dive?!

Hey, You guys..... We were trying to convince Madison how great Thailand is. Not discussing Khatuoy and why anyone hever had to leave thailand because of one.

Madison, Dorsetboy did make a great point about the Thais and American manners..

NEVER NEVER NEVER raise your voice in a discussion (argument).

It will never resolve anything, and Thais will start laughing nervously when you do it. The more you shoult, the more they laugh, this is very confusing for many North Americans, because shouting and threatening usually gets great results back home.. Right?

In Thailand, the first one to shout loses. Period.......

Oh yeah, and avoid beautiful women with ...........aw forget it..........

:wink:

When I said 'lady' I meant 'woman of questionable morals' - 'questionable' meaning 'negotionable'

And you can't tell by the adam's apple anymore, they operate on that too. I know of at least one PADI course director who's been fooled!

It's just when you start doing the maths in your head.....'okay, 3,000 baht buys me let's say 1.5 hrs of bottom time if I dive, but if I go to a bar, it will buy me 4 hrs of ahem 'bottom time' there.......' it gets dangerous!

Yes, Pattaya is worth a dive. I like the area around the Hardeep - a 30m wreck to see, then a second, shallower dive with lots of fish and corals to look at. Quiet, too.

spog:
And you can't tell by the adam's apple anymore, they operate on that too. I know of at least one PADI course director who's been fooled!

ha ha! woner if it's the same one I know of?!! ......

Spent a month there three years ago... most of it on Phi Phi. Loved it and plan to return. My visit was pre-9/11 but I think you should be quite safe in most areas including Phi Phi. I've heard of a few problems in the Phuket area, but nothing serious that I'm aware of.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom