Question Planning a Florida Vacation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have now made reservations to camp south of Port St. Lucie from May 29th through June 4. I then pick up and move to Ft. Myers from June 4-10.

As suggested Marie13 I I will be posting in the appropriate Florida sub groups to try to buddy up.

I thank all of you for the information provided. Really making me look forward to the trip.

I have a 5mm wetsuit, what would be the typical gear worn on late May, early June dives?

I have a 5mm wetsuit, what would be the typical gear worn on late May, early June dives?
You can expect 78-80 degree water in southeast Florida that time of year. A 5mm will definitely suffice. I can't speak for the west coast of the state, though.

I have now made reservations to camp south of Port St. Lucie from May 29th through June 4. I then pick up and move to Ft. Myers from June 4-10.

As suggested Marie13 I I will be posting in the appropriate Florida sub groups to try to buddy up.

I thank all of you for the information provided. Really making me look forward to the trip.

There isn’t a Florida sub group covering all areas of the state FWIW. Southeast & Southwest do not have specific subgroups for example.

Here where I live in SWFL (Cape Coral down to Marco Island), your best bet is down at Marco Island. There is one boat I’m aware of that does typical recreational dive charters down there. It is owned and run by Scuba Marco ... Scuba Marco | Full Service Dive Shop | Marco Island, FL

Everything else in this area are spearfishing boats. That is an entirely different experience and a completely different type of diving from your typical dive charter. Long boat rides on fast boats designed for speed, not comfort. Full day trips focused on putting you on the fish, not catering to the recreational diver who wants to see pretty fish or cool wrecks. These trips are about hunting first and foremost and many of them are commercial trips that will only take experienced, working spearos.

You can expect 78-80 degree water in southeast Florida that time of year. A 5mm will definitely suffice. I can't speak for the west coast of the state, though.

The gulf cools faster & gets colder in the winter, but it warms faster & gets warmer in the summer. A 5mm in May/June would be fine, possibly too warm depending upon your personal temperature tolerance. Temps should be in the 80s by then. The gulf is upper 80s to low 90s between July-October. Think hurricane fuel.

I have now made reservations to camp south of Port St. Lucie from May 29th through June 4.
That is a great location to get out of the busy-ness but yet allow you with easy access to the awesome diving in Palm Beach County.

I then pick up and move to Ft. Myers from June 4-10.
That's my neck of the woods. This is a beautiful area. We chose to live here for a reason! Where are you staying in Ft. Myers? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Our daughter and son-in-law regularly visit us with their travel trailer. They typically camp in south Ft. Myers.

Years ago I used to do competition spearfishing in the local lakes. Carp, Buffalo, Drum, Gar and sometimes catfish. Maybe after a few dives to get myself settled I could dust off the Mares Snubbie and have a go.

DP, I am staying at Army Corps of Engineers W.P. Franklin North campgrounds. The photos look like a little slice of heaven.

You timed your trip pretty. It should be nice and warm and the water should be warming up but it’s prior to the start of rainy season. Especially here in southwest Florida we have a very pronounced rainy season that starts around June 15 and runs through the middle to end of October. Southeast Florida also has a rainy season as well, but isn't quite as pronounced and the time of the daily rains will vary in ways we rarely see in Southwest Florida.

About the same on the West coast. My range for lows is between 76 & 81 for local May, June dives. The 76s are early May.
Years ago I used to do competition spearfishing in the local lakes. Carp, Buffalo, Drum, Gar and sometimes catfish. Maybe after a few dives to get myself settled I could dust off the Mares Snubbie and have a go.
No spearing in freshwater in FL, so carp, gar, and probably catfish would be out. Drum would depend on the type. Black Drum are OK to spear, Red Drum not allowed. The Snubbie may not have the range for a lot of the local saltwater fish, but may work for Sheepshead and a few others. You could definitely get some lionfish with that, but then you have to deal with handling them. Polespear with a paralyzer tip is usually the preferred tool for lions.

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes.
I have changed my plans a bit. Have cancelled the Ft. Myers camping and extended the Jupiter to June 10th.
I may make a day trip to Delnor-Wiggins Pass SP and dive their reef.

I am making arrangements with my local dive shop to get AOW, Deep Diver and Night Diver certs. They are planning a trip to Blue Hole, New Mexico where they do the instruction for these certs.

Thanks to everyone for the advice given. Would love to meet up with any that wish to if that is possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom