Planning a dive trip, but to where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Having worked a lot this summer and not really seen much summer because its been raining all the time, Im looking into taking a trip to somehwere warm with nice diving..
The question then is of course "where should I go?" Ill be having one week available for this mid-august or if I cant get arrangements done that quick, early september.

What im looking for is basically a warm climate, preferrably good visibility, diving.
Overhead enviroments is not an option and ability to communicate in english is vital.
For the sake of discussion money is not an issue.
So basically, where would you suggest going and what ops would you recommend there?

If you want large animals then Grand Bahama, I liked Xanadu. Roatan is also very good diving (not large animals, but good macro stuff). The Keys are always good for a variety of diving, warm and good reefs. It depends on what you want to see......

I'd suggest Bonaire. They diving is great, everyone speaks English, and it's not at great risk for hurricanes (August & September are right in the season for them). Check out the travel forum for Bonaire commentary - too much for me to post.

I assume by big animals you mean stuff like sharks? Ive always found those facinating..

Key Largo, Florida.

OOOPS! Big animals??? I saw some laying around on south Miami beach.

Tigerman:
For the sake of discussion money is not an issue.

That is one huge benefit of living in Norway, everywhere else is cheap. The diving in the Keys and Bahamas is OK but there are much better destinations IMO. If you are only planning a week away your travel time will eat into your dive time if you start traveling half way around the world and switch planes a few times.

My recommendation would be Bonaire because it is good diving, and you can actually get there relatively easily. KLM fly a direct flight into Bonaire from Amsterdam, and I am sure there are lots of connections from Norway to Amsterdam. Your total travel time to Bonaire might be lower than some of the flights we would need to take from Florida.

If you can't get flights/accommodation to Boniare this close to your travel date, then just fly to Florida and drive down to Key Largo.

I agree with Bonaire, but then again we live here! As far as "big" animals, you can see some diving the east side with Larry's Wildside. Unfortunately we don't have big sharks, but reef sharks on the east side. If you need help with anything let me know, we can provide you with info if needed.

Thanks.

Liz

If money is not an issue how about a live-aboard? In a week you could go to Fiji or Thailand. Of course people on your side of the pond have ready access to the Red Sea, Maldives or even Africa.

My first thought is Bonaire,
Easy to get to from Norway, speaks english, unlimited shore diving, very friendly.

How about a liveaboard in the Red Sea. I have not been there but many rave about it.

If you are really adventurous and money is no big issue then Zanzibar.
No jet lag, English speaking, well mostly, and what a place to visit.

I am jealous already just thinking about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom