planning a deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I am not advocating diving deep on air, there is the San Francisco Maru in Truk that is 195' to the sand and about 165' to the deck. I know there are quite a few people on this board that have done that dive including me. That said, it is a long deco for the amount of bottom time obviously but it is a great dive. Needless to say they don't take everyone down, they do checkout dives first. Trimix is not available.
I thought the O2 in 21% is toxic after about 220'.

espenskogen:
Well, as sure as you can be, without having been there whilst it happened..

The guy I had in mind here told me he'd done that depth in the red sea whilst working as an instructor there.. Having said that - I guess he could simply have been so narked he had no idea how deep he was, so I guess the prudent answer would be : No, not entirely - The guy said he did - But he could have been lying/wrong etc.

BTW: Mark Andrews broke 156 meters on Air in 1999.

Cheers, but I know that. I was on about regular PADI Instructors going to 120m...

espenskogen:
I know several Padi instructors who have done 120 meters on air

...so, is it one that you can't verify or several that you "know" for sure? Sort your story out.

thepurplehammerhead:
Cheers, but I know that. I was on about regular PADI Instructors going to 120m...

...so, is it one that you can't verify or several that you "know" for sure? Sort your story out.

It is one that told me about the dives him and the other instructors had done. I didn't discuss these dives with the other instructors there.

Hence, I don't think he was telling porkies, but I can't verify it.

espenskogen:
It is one that told me about the dives him and the other instructors had done. I didn't discuss these dives with the other instructors there.

Hence, I don't think he was telling porkies, but I can't verify it.

As a matter of fact, I nipped down to the King's Arms at 156m on a hookah to smoke a doob and share a beer with Mark in 1999 myself. We chatted about the how's, why's, and do-you-mind-if-I-don'ts for a few hours until the deco mermaid called last orders and closed the bar.

Unfortunately I can't verify it either. :sad:

thepurplehammerhead:
As a matter of fact, I nipped down to the King's Arms at 156m on a hookah to smoke a doob and share a beer with Mark in 1999 myself. We chatted about the how's, why's, and do-you-mind-if-I-don'ts for a few hours until the deco mermaid called last orders and closed the bar.

Unfortunately I can't verify it either. :sad:

Funny

Maybe I should ask to see his logbook? Scan it and stick it up here?

Oh yeah, cuz if he wrote it down it must be true. :D

CD_in_Chitown:
Oh yeah, cuz if he wrote it down it must be true. :D

Exactly my point - How can you verify anything like that?

Yeah, and I read it in the News of The World and the National Enquirer too. Not to mention The Onion. Come on, mate, no-one's calling you a liar, but I do know people who have come close to what you claimed to "know" to have been done and called it quits.

I think you need to re-examine your acceptance of what people tell you as being fact.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom