Places to Eat in Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rje634

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're heading to Nassau at the end of the month :D and I would love to hear some of your recommendations on restaurants.
So, let me know your favorites, the not to be missed, the good, and of course the "avoid at all costs! :no "'.
Looking forward to your recommendations.

We are staying at the Wyndham if that helps.

PS Where is a grocery store on the island? I want to be able to get some bottled water, snack food, etc.

I guess it all depends on what you like. Cafe Johnny Canoe is near the Wyndham, we ate there several times and enjoyed it. We ate a lot of conch on the island, I had never had conch fritters that actually had recognizable chunks of conch in them so that was a real treat!

Bahamian Kitchen was recommended to us by a local woman. We were walking through a parking lot and she was coming toward us when the wind blew all of her file folders all over the parking lot. We helped her catch the wayward paper and hubby asked her for a restaurant recommendation and Bahamian Kitchen was it. We had a little trouble finding it, it's kind of tucked back away from the main drag in town but it was worth the search. I believe there are actually two Bahamian Kitchens but I'm not sure where the other one is. Definitely worth making the effort to find this one!

BTW
If the Wyndham slips a ticket for a free show with drink purchase under your door take advantage of it. A soda costs something like $5 but the show was really neat and worth more than that, we were glad we didn't brush off the tickets as tacky.
Ber :lilbunny:

I second the vote for Johnny Canoe's!
We ate there both nights of our stay at the Wyndham. They have outdoor bar/patio and indoor seating available. Entertainment too!!

There's another good restaurant a short walk from the Wyndham but I can't remember the name. Instead of going toward Johnny Canoe's go the other way past the neighboring hotel and it's the first restaurant (same side of street as Wyndham).

Thanks for the info, keep it coming..

Johnny Canoe is good but kind of expensive. The same people operate Conch Fritters across from the Hilton. Very similar food at lower prices. Unfortunately, it seemed to close on March 22nd and had not opened by the time we left on the 27th. It might be open again.

Next to Conch Chowder is the Imperial. It's mostly a takeout place but has some booths. They're open all hours (well, 23 hours).

Cafe Skans a block from the straw market has a very nice breakfast and snappy service. This is a real rarity on New Providence. Usually that's not an issue for us, but when we need to finish breakfast on a schedule to make our dive pickup, it is.

Traveller's Rest toward the western end of the island is quiet and across the street from a nice little beach. We had some of the best cracked conch of our stay there and the view could not be beat. Their conch fritters were especially chonchy, and they purport to be the inventors of the banana daiquiri.

Most meals we took at Arawak Cay at the "fish fry." There are a couple dozen restaurants ranging from hole-in-the-wall to two-storey places that take credit cards. Most have similar menus, but a few specialize or have very limited offerings (such as conch salad or scorched conch). We particularly liked Red Snapper, Twin Brothers, and Big 10's. Food here is uniformly fresh and good, and about half the price of Johnny Canoe. Some places offer breakfast, such as the stew fish and grits (and Guinness with carrot juice) at Red Snapper.

You can get to the fish fry on the number 10 bus (heading east toward town from the Wyndham) for a buck, and can get to Traveller's on the same bus heading west. If you hop on a bus and tell the driver you want to go to a grocery store, he'll get you to one.

I second Arawak Cay. We liked Goldie's (if it's still there). Great, very fresh conch, and cheap. If you're brave, try the sky juice (gin and coconut water--sounds bizarre but it's very refreshing).

Definintely get the hang of the public transportation system, much less expensive than taking a taxi everywhere.

Ber Rabbit:
Definintely get the hang of the public transportation system, much less expensive than taking a taxi everywhere.
Definitely good advice, we've been to Nassau in the past and the taxis are expensive.
It's a shame that the buses stop running at 6PM.

I don't have any other specific places to add to the list, rather some advice from a resident we met on our last trip to New Providence: "Don't go into Nassau alone at night-there are many areas that are unsafe."
That said, we have enjoyed our trips there, just be careful.

Sadly, that seems like a good caution for any city in these days.

Good luck,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom