Places to eat on Bonarie 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rddvet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went searching for food recommendation threads, and although one was reawoken from 2012, it has inaccuracies now. We all love post-dive food, so thought creating a new thread may be helpful. Maybe if it turns out well, it could be stickied until things change significantly like they did post-Covid.
We head back to Bonaire in 2 days. Our last trip was 4 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed, so let's hear your suggestions again. We make most of our meals, but will go out for the occassional meal. Since our last trip my wife has been diagnosed with Celiac disease, so any recommendations that you think might be gluten free would help even more. I'm sure the Arepas place is gluten free if they're still there. Places like Doner station may say they can make stuff gluten free, but I wonder how much cross-contamination there is.
So lets hear your food recommendations again, and especially any commentary if you've had to eat gluten free there.

We just got back from Bonaire on August 24, 2023. Not sure where you are staying - everything I mention is walking distance from the Divi. I have no comments on gluten-free, but these are places we ate at on this trip and recommend, listed most expensive ($$$) to cheapest ($):

Sebastians - Seafood ($$$) - Get a table over the water out on the new pier. Reservations recommended
Patagonia - Seafood ($$$) - Get a table outside along the street. Reservations recommended
Capriccio - Italian/Seafood ($$$) - Reservations recommended
Karel's Beach Bar - Seafood/Variety ($$) - Great atmosphere - restaurant sticks out over the water
Bon Bini Bar & Restaurant Playa - Chinese ($$) - Love this place! It's a hundred yards north of the Divi (but not on the water). Great food. Sit at the bar or grab take-out. Daughter speaks several languages and deals with customers. Mom only speaks Mandarin and does the cooking.
Rumba Cafe - Pizza/Salads ($) - When you just want something quick and easy. Downtown in the arcade across from Karel's

Thanks. Hadn't heard of the Chinese food at Bon Bini, but we both love real (not what americans think is real) Chinese food.

Is the pizza place still there?

food in Bonaire is expensive.... keep that in mind
1- South of town by "The Lake" dive site there is Ocean Oasis. Is ($$), really good, great atmosphere
2- The food truck, Cactus Blue, on the road South by "Windsock Reef", has lionfish burgers at $25.00
3- Downtown, Mi Bananas Restaurant is a lay back island style restaurant with good flavor food
4- Sakura Suchi is very good if you like Suchi, and prices are reasonable

We just got back from Bonaire on August 24, 2023. Not sure where you are staying - everything I mention is walking distance from the Divi. I have no comments on gluten-free, but these are places we ate at on this trip and recommend, listed most expensive ($$$) to cheapest ($):

Sebastians - Seafood ($$$) - Get a table over the water out on the new pier. Reservations recommended
Patagonia - Seafood ($$$) - Get a table outside along the street. Reservations recommended
Capriccio - Italian/Seafood ($$$) - Reservations recommended
Karel's Beach Bar - Seafood/Variety ($$) - Great atmosphere - restaurant sticks out over the water
Bon Bini Bar & Restaurant Playa - Chinese ($$) - Love this place! It's a hundred yards north of the Divi (but not on the water). Great food. Sit at the bar or grab take-out. Daughter speaks several languages and deals with customers. Mom only speaks Mandarin and does the cooking.
Rumba Cafe - Pizza/Salads ($) - When you just want something quick and easy. Downtown in the arcade across from Karel's
what timing, I'm headed there in november but just last night was surfing for restaurants. One place not on your list that we loved last year when I was there with the family was Bagel and Bloom for Brunch/Lunch (10 min walk from Divi). I saw some of these but not all, so saving this list off for later review! Now I just need to find a seahorse off Divi's house reef when I'm there.
Thanks

I mentioned Rumba Cafe in my list - to me, that's "the pizza place", though there may be others.
I always liked pasa bon pizza

Pasa Bon Pizza blows all the other pizza places out of the water. Been going there for the last 20 plus years.

Back
Top Bottom