Places to avoid in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW Reefs around Jamaica have been improving a lot lately (Especially Ocho Rios, I've been diving there for 9 years). I also know a lot of divers who swear by Couples Swept Away in Negril for great diving and an amazing dive operation. All four of the Couples resorts have dedicated in house shops and boats (three have Newton dive boats and two have nitrox). Two dives daily is included in the AI (night and nitrox may be extra). I usually manage two dives and am back for lunch.

We head to Couples every two years typically and while the diving is a little limited in site selection it's more than adequate for a trip where diving isn't the primary objective. We've had a lot of fun there over the years and I've had some great dives. Asa a plus the resort staff will not accept tips as that too is included in the price. Very relaxing not having to have a stack of small bills on me constantly.

I would avoid Sandals at all costs but that's a personal ethics thing that you can DM me about... won't get into it here.

Nice review - I think my wife and I will check out Couples Swept Away resort this Fall.
Attracted by the prospect of free scuba diving! Surely there are extra costs, e.g. equipment rental, enviro fees, etc?!

For the time being, I'd avoid Turks and Caicos......pending their sentencing decisions on "ammo-gate". Just hard to believe that 5 Americans would make the same dumb-ass mistake in such a short timeframe......but then again...there is no shortage of dumb-ass Americans.

For the time being, I'd avoid Turks and Caicos......pending their sentencing decisions on "ammo-gate". Just hard to believe that 5 Americans would make the same dumb-ass mistake in such a short timeframe......but then again...there is no shortage of dumb-ass Americans.
Actually a bonus for me. Going on vacation where guns are (almost) non-existent is really nice!

Turks and Caicos. Screw them.

Dominican republic. Beside good cheap food and cigars, no worthwhile features. Good training, and a few really cool training dives. But after the training dives, the real dives are worthless unless perfect conditions that never exist.

Bonaire. The criminal culture permeates every aspect of the island. You're expected to simply play along, open your wallet, and fund it further. If you like being duped every day of your vacation, Bonaire is the place for you.

Cozumel, any month the port gets closed because of a mild breeze. If you don't mind snorkeling the beach at some resort, you're fine. But most of the activities outside of diving, are a bit lame. And its hard to find other activities, without getting sucked into a scam. We've had good luck in March and April.

Cayman anything. Overpriced.

Key Largo on a cattle boat. Take some time to find better ops, and/or bring enough people with you, for a private boat. 4 tanks per day.

Barbados. Nice, but overpriced.

The good:

Roatan. No idea if it's worse than years ago. Don't care, loved it. Entire week of crystal clear water and mild weather. Jealous any time anyone mentions going there.

St. Thomas. RMS Rhone always pleases. Megan's Bay Beach is a great swim.

Dominica (but diving is secondary, hiking rainforest is primary).

Key West (but food, snorkeling, sailboats, other stuff)

St. Croix? Long while ago.

Turks and Caicos. Screw them.

Dominican republic. Beside good cheap food and cigars, no worthwhile features. Good training, and a few really cool training dives. But after the training dives, the real dives are worthless unless perfect conditions that never exist.

Bonaire. The criminal culture permeates every aspect of the island. You're expected to simply play along, open your wallet, and fund it further. If you like being duped every day of your vacation, Bonaire is the place for you.

Cozumel, any month the port gets closed because of a mild breeze. If you don't mind snorkeling the beach at some resort, you're fine. But most of the activities outside of diving, are a bit lame. And its hard to find other activities, without getting sucked into a scam. We've had good luck in March and April.

Cayman anything. Overpriced.

Key Largo on a cattle boat. Take some time to find better ops, and/or bring enough people with you, for a private boat. 4 tanks per day.

Barbados. Nice, but overpriced.
Wow. You are really a hater! Is there anywhere that doesn't pi$$ you off?

I don't like, what you like.

About CZM though, I'll go in March.
Only march. By myself though. Family and friends have definately placed CZM on a never again list.

But I suspect it's my opinion of Bonaire, that really bothers you. Sorry, but good shore diving doesn't make up for the hilariously bad culture. There's other places to dive. Bonaire is on my never again list. I didn't see what you guys must see. But I doubt it's worth getting mugged over.

Nice review - I think my wife and I will check out Couples Swept Away resort this Fall.
Attracted by the prospect of free scuba diving! Surely there are extra costs, e.g. equipment rental, enviro fees, etc?!
we looked into an all inclusive many years ago that offered "free unlimited diving". turned out they only took people out for a single tank in the morning and again in the afternoon.

after looking into it further, we were told even getting a dive reservation was near impossible.

so we never went. hopefully things have changed.

Back
Top Bottom