Places to avoid in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we looked into an all inclusive many years ago that offered "free unlimited diving". turned out they only took people out for a single tank in the morning and again in the afternoon.

after looking into it further, we were told even getting a dive reservation was near impossible.

so we never went. hopefully things have changed.

oh geez ok good to know (same resort I am assuming)

Nice review - I think my wife and I will check out Couples Swept Away resort this Fall.
Attracted by the prospect of free scuba diving! Surely there are extra costs, e.g. equipment rental, enviro fees, etc?!
Thanks! You'll love it. CSA is the only one we haven't been to yet (the other three offer au natural beaches/pools/facilities that we prefer :wink: :cool: )

Unless you are taking a course or need a refresher there are NO fees... everything is included (maybe not a dive computer but you barely need it on these dives). There is a surcharge and minimum diver count (USD$50 each and four divers minimum if I remember correctly) for night dives with lights provided.

Although the websites talk about an afternoon dive I have found that most of the time they get two dives in before lunch and you're on the beach for the afternoon.

Places I would go... as mentioned Cozumel has a range of hotels from budget to luxury. Caymans is nice.

If you want to venture a bit afield from the Caribbean but still easy to get to, I have had a few groups to Costa Rica to resorts that include or exclude diving, and I have had nothing but good reviews. Lots to do for divers and non-divers.

I also have a group headed to Curacao in a week to LionsDive Resort. LionsDive is not AI but Sunscape Resort is AI. Bonaire also might be an option

Eleuthera was a huge disappointment for me. Would avoid 200%.

Just returned from Turk, staying on Providenciales. One of my favorites for many reasons. Diving was great in West Caicos and the North West side of Provo. Dive charter was safe and professional (Dive Provo) . Not to mention on my off dive days, wed snorkeled right from the beach....saw lots os turtles, sharks...etc.

Stayed at a "condo type" place with a full kitchen, cooked breakfast and packed lunches for day trips on the island. Dinner for two was between $150-200 and was great every night! Was safe, English speaking and US dollar.....although driving on the left took a minute to get used to.

Can't wait to go back.....

The original post is a little over two years old, and the Caribbean continues to decline in overall reef health. IMO, there is no island in the Caribbean worthy of a dive trip anymore. Head to the Pacific and Asia.

The original post is a little over two years old, and the Caribbean continues to decline in overall reef health. IMO, there is no island in the Caribbean worthy of a dive trip anymore. Head to the Pacific and Asia.
Wow, that seems a bit extreme. Maybe it's best that I didn't see the Caribbean the way it used to be, because I've enjoyed all of my Caribbean dive trips over the last 6 years -- some more than others, but the worst still beats quarries, the Gulf, the Atlantic north of Jupiter, FL, etc., etc. (and those can also be fun, too).

Back
Top Bottom