Placencia Whale Shark Season 2011 - Updates on sightings please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh Yeah, Oh yeah! We saw Whale Sharks on the 21 and 22 May with Avadon divers, Splash was there as well. They were estimated to be 20' long, down around 100 feet deep, our snorkelers did not get to see them.

The consensus is that they arrive 3-4 days after the full moon during the season March through June, with April and May being the best bet.

Awesome experience, truly surreal to see the Whale Shark emerge from a massive school of Snapper.

I saw Whale Sharks on 2 of 4 dives, on the other dives we saw Scalloped Hammerhead, wow. Bull Sharks circling us, and big schools of Jacks. Blue water diving with no wall or bottom for reference, should Advanced cert be required?

My dive buddy had been there 4 years in a row, 12 trips to Gladden Spit and this week was his first Whale Shark so it is by no means a sure thing.

Blessing Blessing Blessing, we were lucky and totally psyched.

I have been off on other things so didn't get a chance to go on ScubaBoard all week. Yes, this June was not good for whale sharks. June historically tends to be ok for whale sharks but not for divers as June can be a bit windy so at Splash we don't tend to promote whale shark diving in June. We were out 3 times and saw a whale shark on one dive but it was very deep and most people did not see it or were unable to tell whether it was a whale shark or another species of shark. Looking forward to March when they should be back.
Regards
Ralph

Back
Top Bottom