Placencia Whale Shark Season 2011 - Updates on sightings please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just don't use up the year's whale shark sightings before I get there in three weeks, that's all I ask. :coffee:

No whale shark sightings today Wednesday May 18. We will go again tomorrow.
Regards
Ralph

So inquiring minds would like to know.

When it the best time to do this based on the full moon?
I have heard and read everything from the day of the full moon to ten days after the full moon!

Thanks!

One whale shark seen today Thursday May 19. Interesting that it was seen by divers who were just getting ready to go into the water. they saw lots of other good stuff - sharks and daulphins and of course lots and lots of snapper.
DeputyDan, usually just after the new moon for several days is usually but not always the best time -thus the wide variation in reports.
Regards
Ralph

We went whale shark diving today and yesterday and no whale sharks. So disappointing... :depressed:

No, a snorkel boat saw it and there were only 4 or so that saw (allegedly) and it swam off too quickly before they could get a good look at it (allegedly) or take any pictures.

According to one of the divemasters on our boat, the local fisherman said there are spawning tuna 15 or so miles away from the Gladden Spit and thought maybe that's where the whale sharks are. Who knows...
I wish they had spotter planes a la Mexico.

No, a snorkel boat saw it and there were only 4 or so that saw (allegedly) and it swam off too quickly before they could get a good look at it (allegedly) or take any pictures.

ok, so maybe i am just bitter i didn't see any. =)

but it is strange that with all those snapper, no whale sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom