Placed the order for my new DUI today :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Based on their argument..... But, it is still leaking... Ours (GF and I) are both Apeaks new valves. I also talked with a DUI technical guy who still believes it is an user error though. I have seen other DUI owners who have the same issues. Their suits are all less than two years old.

After many leak-free dives, my Apeks low-profile exhaust valve began leaking coincidental with the first time I used it manually to dump one day. It continued to leak slightly on subsequent dives.

I dismantled it and was unable to find a problem.

Found a solution, though: it no longer leaks if I don't run it fully open.

From fully-open, I turn it in (clockwise) about a half-turn.

Dave C

dave4868:
After many leak-free dives, my Apeks low-profile exhaust valve began leaking coincidental with the first time I used it manually to dump one day. It continued to leak slightly on subsequent dives.

I dismantled it and was unable to find a problem.

Found a solution, though: it no longer leaks if I don't run it fully open.

From fully-open, I turn it in (clockwise) about a half-turn.

Dave C

Thanks Dave,

If then, how about a vent? Have you experienced any delays for their venting job?

The Apeks valve doesn't vent quick compared to Si-tech as I was told.

hoosier:
Thanks Dave,

If then, how about a vent? Have you experienced any delays for their venting job?

The Apeks valve doesn't vent quick compared to Si-tech as I was told.

I've had only Apeks apparently (now that I look again), the taller Apeks on my first suit (TLS350), and now the low-profile Apeks on my CLx450. Never used SI-TECH.

I've got hundreds of dives on both types of Apeks and I'd say they've always vented extremely well and never too slow. Always vented quickly enough to stop an ascent, even in shallow water.

And that's coming from a guy who wears a lot of weight (anywhere from 38 to 54 lbs, including some "excess" weight). Also, I'm often in water less than 30' deep and changing depths quite a bit. (Going over boulders, etc.)

Just lift the arm and "whoosh"!

In the winter, when I'm most heavily weighted and have more "excess" weight and air for warmth, I'll crank it a full turn in from fully open and it still vents well at that setting.

Dave C

I have the opposite issue--lift my arm, and nothing. Nothing at all, and yes it's open all the way. :wink: I have to go almost completely vertical to get anything out.

It's a relatively new suit, maybe...6-7 months old? Maybe it has the "old" model low profile valve. Either way, it's going to be replaced soon with a SiTech valve. :D
I've seen newer suits that have low-profile valves that dump fine, although they tend to let a little water in.

If you go here (PDF file) you can see the SiTech valves.

They look like the valves I see on the Bare suits that the LDS carries. Talked with the LDS today and they said SiTech makes the valves for DUI suits now? I hadn't heard that before... I guess it'll come with what it comes with, and if I have a problem, I'll change them down the road.

If you're getting a Signature Series I believe you can specify SiTech valves. If you don't you'll probably end up with Apeks valves.
If it were my suit, I'd specifically request SiTech valves...

bdshort:
They look like the valves I see on the Bare suits that the LDS carries. Talked with the LDS today and they said SiTech makes the valves for DUI suits now? I hadn't heard that before... I guess it'll come with what it comes with, and if I have a problem, I'll change them down the road.

I bought my suit last summer, and at least then LP Apeks was the default valve. I asked DUI because I wanted SiTech and they said swapping would be ~$20. I got Signature Series TLS, and if I recall right that charge was not added in the end.
My valve is pretty tight, fully open it still has never accidentally vented. At first I thought there was something wrong with it but it was most likely user error. I much prefer it to couple of other guys' Apeks valves that seem to spit water into their suits if they have been eagerly venting. My valve nor my suit has never leaked.

bdshort:

I am wondering if your LDS is qualified DUI dealer. :eyebrow:

I have the new Apex valves and I think it vents to easy. I usely have mine 3 clicks away from open. I have never been wet from dumping air, but Im a die hard Apex fan and I dont want to look to see. :) I have the Zipper pockets and I realy like them its a good choice. I did not get the ones with a knife holder since I belive that if Im tangled up in mono line or spiderwire that knife is out of reach and too far away to ensure a good grab on the knife.

Well I hope the suit comes soon, and Congrats again

Back
Top Bottom