Pk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I'd be willing to bet that if you went back and dug into history a little bit, you could probably find an old TH-55A, OH-23 or OH-13T helicopter or two lying on the bottom of PK somewhere.

the K

The Kraken:
You know, I'd be willing to bet that if you went back and dug into history a little bit, you could probably find an old TH-55A, OH-23 or OH-13T helicopter or two lying on the bottom of PK somewhere.

the K

the K...In our Texas Possum Kingdom Resv.,,,??? :huh:

Yep. The United States Army Primary Helicopter Flight School was located in Mineral Wells back in the late 60's and early 70's.

There was a lot of helicopter traffic in the area.

I may be mistaken, and I hope I am, but I do seem to remember that a couple went down in PK.

We were "forbidden" from flying over the lake, so you know exactly what we did when we were doing solo flights.

But "I" never did that. NOOOOOOO . . . . not me !!!

the K

The Kraken:
Yep. The United States Army Primary Helicopter Flight School was located in Mineral Wells back in the late 60's and early 70's.

I may be mistaken, and I hope I am, but I do seem to remember that a couple went down in PK.

We were "forbidden" from flying over the lake, so you know exactly what we did when we were doing solo flights.

the K

Shame on you! :eyebrow:

I will look into this as something to investigate...you never know. Thanks

Alan, I'm Green with Envy !

Wait a minute... those are grass stains :shakehead

Alan,
What's the viz in PK?

subzero:
Alan,
What's the viz in PK?

Enrique.....The vis was 3-5ft. at the surface down to around 30ffw were you picked up a thermo,,,then it went to around 8ft.. With the recent rains it has mucked up the vis.
I was diving only my full 5mil so did not get any deeper as it did continue to chill a bit more. On this lake the closer you get to the dam the vis generally improves. I asked the folks who had dove Hells Gate,,,they said it was about 8-10ft of vis till they all mucked it up getting trash on their event.

Once the runoff settles out the vis will improve. PK is one of my favorite places to dive when conditions are good.

The best diving is along the wall, down Frank Harris Bend between Scuba Point and the Bend. Around MM 11 to 14 the wall diving is excellent.

Around Frank Harris Bend toward the dam, you can slip into Governer's Cove. Usually completely unspoiled the vis is great and the fish abundant. Do not head toward the Morris Sheppard dam and the buoyed off area, rather stay in the cove and the entrance. Depths can reach 100' at the entrance. Peek into the many small caves and see some pretty big cats.

On the other side opposite FH Bend, is Neely Slough. Not much to see but there are some big rocks and lots of fish.

Head back around Gaines Bend (opposite Scuba Point) and you'll find Hell's Gate in the base of Johnson Bend. You can make an underwater circuit of the island if you plan your dive well and have good air management. Back in the 70's you could climb the rocks and jump off the cliff, but not anymore...at least you're not "supposed" to.

And of course there's Scuba Point, the only easily accessible shore dive. Normally the dropoff starts at 11' where vis is 3-5'. The first ledge is at 35' and vis should be 8-10'. The next ledge at 45' through a thermocline, then the second thermocline as the wall slopes gently in and hits the silt at 80'. It is very dark and very cold down there, so full suit/hood/gloves plus lights is needed. The bonus: I've seen vis open up down there to 20'+! A great dive if you go to the left (facing the lake, right facing the wall) as the wall winds around and in, under some old trees and such. To the left (facing the lake) is wall diving, to the right (piers and boat ramp) its more of a rocky slope. There's an old truck there, some trash, etc.

Good diving at PK when the lake cooperates. You can rent a big pontoon boat for the day for $400 and dive all over the place. (get 10 Swampers to go in together and it's $40 each)

The Scuba Point park is about the easiest legal shore access to the lake,,,,other private prop. points with owner perm.. Of course boat access with diver down flag. I started diving PK in the early 70's when vis was just wonderful! Besides being a good spot for diving the area is quite pretty with an anbudance of deer.

I'll have to check with my dad and see if he knows of any downed helicopters. He was out there around that time.

The Kraken:

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom