Piston vs diaphragm... Balanced??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS wouldn't even talk about the second stage regulator until he talked about how overbalanced first stages are the only good regulators (holding a $1200 atomic regulator).

Here's a tip for you. Whenever someone at a dive shop uses the word "overbalanced" to try to sell you a regulator, it's time to leave that shop.

I can't claim to be an expert but I'm probably the best crash test dummy for regs. I weigh 150kgs (330 lbs) used to play rugby and am 194 cms(6'4"). I have to dive twins to get as much bottom time as my wife.

I personally use two 3rd generation Scubapro mk5s (40 year old balanced piston) hooked up to Hog 2nd stages.

The combo:
-was relatively cheap;
-self serviveable with cheap parts;
-fully adjustable; and
-performs superbly.

Seriously, just yesterday I dove Gordon rocks in the Galapagos and emptied two Al80s in 30 mins at 15m (seeing hammerheads, sunfish and whalesharks are exciting!).

The moral of the story. I doubt there would be anyone who would find a good balanced piston like a Mk5 not up to their needs. Also, mixing up 1st and 2nd stages is ok as long as the parts are reasonably normal.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back
Top Bottom