Pinnacle Polar & Cruiser 7/5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm shopping for a new wetsuit and was looking at the Pinnacle Polar. For less than half the price I can get the Cruiser. Regardless of how wet you get in either suit you still have the same thickness of rubber insulating you. It would seem to me that the Cruiser worn with a vest would be warmer than the Polar. I also wonder how durable the inner flap systems are of the Polar. They look to me like they would tear easily.
Opinions from divers that have either suit would be much appreciated.

I depends on the condition in which you're diving. The Polar is merino lined, I've heard that equates to about 2-3mm in thickness. I dive with a Cruiser, 5mm Merino lined hood and gloves. Very Comfortable in and out of the water. The rubber neck seal works fantastic with the rubber seal on the hood. I really don't think I get wet. Even with water in the 50's i'm comfortable.

Well, neck seal and the front seal in polar are so different. I have a pinnacle elite 7/5mm. (water is 52-70F here) I get tons of water through the back of the neck/zipper area. (It sucks really bad since this size fit is too loose for me and it retains all this water in.) If you are diving in cold water, I'd say avoid the back zipper models and get an attached hood to minimize the amount of water getting in. My buddy just got polar and he's pretty happy.

Well, neck seal and the front seal in polar are so different. I have a pinnacle elite 7/5mm. (water is 52-70F here) I get tons of water through the back of the neck/zipper area. (It sucks really bad since this size fit is too loose for me and it retains all this water in.) If you are diving in cold water, I'd say avoid the back zipper models and get an attached hood to minimize the amount of water getting in. My buddy just got polar and he's pretty happy.

I'm just curious. You say that the neck on your suit allows a lot of water in, but you also say that the size is loose on you. Do you think the neck leaks because the suit is too loose on you or is it more a matter of design?

If the neck seal of the wetsuit seals on the outside of the hood, would poor fitting hood cause the leaks in the back?

If the neck seal of the wetsuit seals on the outside of the hood, would poor fitting hood cause the leaks in the back?

A poor hood will cause excessive water transfer, I dove my cruiser w/rental hood (my pinnacle had not come in yet) a lot of leakage, then dove with my pinnacle hood HUGE difference.

The best way to save money on a wetsuit is the purchase a drysuit. Now with that said, I own a Pinnacle Polar. The suit has not held up the best, and is not close to warm enough for me, even with a full 4/3 ZEN zip under it. Our water dips below 50 often, and a drysuit is the only way to go. Even if the water is above 50 degrees any dive over an hour will be cold in a wetsuit, and you are not going to want to do a second dive, or it will be a short one.

Peter, what has not held up well on your Polar suit? How much have you used it?

The marino wool inside has started coming apart by splitting. There are a couple of spots where it has split over half and inch. I've been fairly gentle taking off and putting it on. It looks haggered on the outside, although that does not affect performance. I am not sold on wool lining in a suit. Seems to me, less water is better...actually a drysuit for redundant buoyancy is the best.

The nicest wetsuits I have seen are the O'Niell's with the built in hood. Less flow is a good thing, so the less possible openings the better. The other option for top warmth would be the Bare like the one in the link, that would help seal, and add a second layer to your core. By that time you are getting really close to a drysuit in cost.
Bare 7mm Arctic Vest, Mens from LeisurePro.com

How cold does the water you are diving in get?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom