Pinnacle 7mm Escape Titanium Farmer John opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalScot

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and am looking to get a new 7mm wetsuit. I was looking at the Pinnacle 7mm Escape Titanium Farmer John because I can get a mixed sized suit that fits me better. I'm a 52 top and 50 bottom in Euro sizes so basically a large top and medium bottom (or similar) in US sizing. My problem is that I have have little chicken legs and most one piece suits fit great on top but not on the bottom.

That is why I'm leaning towards the 2 piece so I get different sizing.

Does anyone wear the Pinnacle 7mm Escape Titanium Farmer John? If so what do you think of it? It is basically the lower end of the Pinnacle line, but the only one thatis 2 piece from them.

Are there any other 2 piece suits that I should be looking at?

I'm a freediver turned scuba diver so I'm also more comfortable and used to a 2 piece suit. My freedive suit is a 5mm Picasso. And to my suprise whie diving her in Southern California (I froze my ass off!) Apparently the soft comfy Yamamoto neoprene that the Picasso suits are made from compress easier then the less expensive neoprene that a normal scuba suit is made of.

Any help or advice for me wetsuit situation will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Pinnacle makes a great product and you wont regret it. The overlapping suits will keep you very warm as will having a suit that fits. 7mm will be tough to get in and out of regardless how you go. It's a shame Pinnacle does not make this suit with their elastiprene. You will be happy with a Pinnacle product, I like my suit.

Thanks for the reply nismo.

I was told to come to this site to get some questions answered and that the knowledge base was pretty good here.

Only one person uses a Pinnacle wetsuit?

Must not be much experience with people using wetsuits on this board. Go figure

I guess if it ain't a tek question it must not warrant a reply

friendly bunch here on this board

I think you'll find the majority of posts on this forum are non tech. Pinnacle makes a great suit, they're very popular around here, and everything I hear is positive.

If you're diving cold, I strongly suggest trying a dry suit once or twice, I've had mine in 85 deg water with no undergarments, and 62 degree water with double layers, and each dive was just as comfortable.

I think you'll find the majority of posts on this forum are non tech. Pinnacle makes a great suit, they're very popular around here, and everything I hear is positive.

If you're diving cold, I strongly suggest trying a dry suit once or twice, I've had mine in 85 deg water with no undergarments, and 62 degree water with double layers, and each dive was just as comfortable.

Thanks for the info. I do plan on a dry suit eventually. My normal water temps are between about 52-65. But I just recently got my ow cert so I don't want to jump into a dry suit before I have at least some experience under my belt. But I also don't want to waste the next 20-30 dives freezing my ass off either.

I'm just assuming that most people would advise on waiting to go to a dry suit until I have more plain old diving experience. I don't want to bite off more then I can chew with trying to get used to diving in general and then throwing in the addition of trying to learn a new dry suit.

Do people that learn to dive in areas that are so cold that you really need a dry suit to dive there just learn to dive in a dry suit right off the bat?

in 52-65 degree water, you should be comfortable in a farmer john style 7mm. If you need more warmth, you could use a torso heater or a shorty underneath. Make sure to get a good hood. That will make a world of difference. At least a 5mm. I just ordered a Pinnacle 7mm merino lined hood which is there warmest. If you go into the mid 40's or lower than you'll want to consider a dry suit. I've used my Pinnacle Kodiak which is an 8/6 twice in temps in the mid to high 40's twice now. First time I got really really cold, and the second I was quite comfortable. I think you'll be happy with the suit you are inquiring about, the people using them in the water temps I was in seemed a little more comfortable.

in 52-65 degree water, you should be comfortable in a farmer john style 7mm. If you need more warmth, you could use a torso heater or a shorty underneath. Make sure to get a good hood. That will make a world of difference. At least a 5mm. I just ordered a Pinnacle 7mm merino lined hood which is there warmest. If you go into the mid 40's or lower than you'll want to consider a dry suit. I've used my Pinnacle Kodiak which is an 8/6 twice in temps in the mid to high 40's twice now. First time I got really really cold, and the second I was quite comfortable. I think you'll be happy with the suit you are inquiring about, the people using them in the water temps I was in seemed a little more comfortable.

Thank again for the help. It is much appreciated

I just did my OW cert dives in a Pinnacle Escape 5mm farmer john combo. It was the first outing for me and the suit and I felt great at 60' with the water temp around 53. I can't say that everyone would be so comfy in that water, but the suit did a great job for me. I'm not typically cold (Usually just a long sleeve t shirt in the snowy winter) so I purchased the suit accordingly. I would guess that the 7mm would be quite challenging to get into since the 5mm took a good bit of work on the shore. BTW I borrowed the shops 7mm FJ suit for the last dive of the last day and found that I felt a little colder than I did in the Pinnacle... not sure if that was the "titanium lining" or what, but just a little anecdotal evidence...

I once emailed Pinnacle to ask about an Elasteprene Farmer John suit, but they just said there wasn't much demand as most people don't use them anymore.

The Pinnacle Escape FJ is a good suit for the price,but it has like a 10 mil backing to the zipper and it causes a bad seal. I would suggest also the hooded vest worn under it helps considerably with the seal. I dont understand why they did that with 2 7mil pieces you dont need a 10mil backing for the zipper. I sent mine back, my son still has his and I'm thinking about getting the backing changed out to maybe 3-5 mil. Keith

Back
Top Bottom