Pindito Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Full Circle

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm interested first hand information/review/thoughts on the Pindito liveaboard. I will appreciate any heads up before going out there. Thanks in advance. Carlos E.

Hi Carlos,

MV Pindito is an award winning liveaboard operating in Indoneasia and has an excellent reputation as has its owner Ed Frommenweiler who has been diving in the area for longer than most.

Have a look at our trip report MV Pindito

I hope you have a booking as she is booked out until July 2010 - now that says something about being the best.......

Eddy who runs the Pindito pioneered live-a-board diving in Indonesia. He runs and excellent operation.

OnTheSpot, Thanks for your response. Have you actually been on the boat? The reason I ask is that I've never been on a live-aboard that requires shuttling equipment and gear up and down gangways to RIBs. It seem uncomfortable to say the least. What was your experience with this setup?

Wayan, seems you and I have two common interests, diving & golf. Thanks for your response, please see my reply to OnTheSpot for additional info. Thanks

Hello, I have recently been on the Pindito for the Raja Ampat trip (Nov. 9-20). It is a first-class operation, and everything from the boat itself to the dive guides and diving was fantastic. It is a very large boat, with plenty of room to spread out and be very comfortable. The dive set-up area is at the front of the boat, and you are given a large box for your gear, where you keep it for the entire trip. When it is dive time, you set up your gear, and then the crew takes it to the speed boat for you. They are very experienced with handling expensive camaras and equipment, so there is no need to worry about your gear. You just have to walk down the ladder to the speedboat, and get in. After the dive, the speedboat is right there waiting on you, and when you get back to Pindito you just get out....they bring your gear back up and then you can take the tank off...sometimes I would be at the fresh shower right after the dive, and when I would get back to my area, my gear was already dis-assembled for me. They are very service oriented, and with 17 Indonesian crew, and three dive guides, there is no shortage of people wanting to help you. You can't go wrong with this operation...we are already booked on a Komodo trip on Pindito because of the wonderful time we had on the Raja Ampat trip. One final touch that they offer is on the day of departure, the dive guides take all of the luggage to the Sorong airport for you, and check you in, including taking care of luggage overage charges....you simply take a cab to the airport about an hour before your flight, meet the crew there and get your boarding pass, and take off. It is fantastic, as the Sorong airport is not a place you want to spend a lot of time waiting around, and checking in. I hope this is useful information for you, and please p.m. me if you have an further questions.

-shannon

Hi Carlos,

A lot of thought and careful planning has gone into the dive operations on Pindito.

Shannon has described the process well - the dive staff on the boat make it all easy and realxed.

When were you thinking of joining the trip?

Wayan, seems you and I have two common interests, diving & golf. Thanks for your response, please see my reply to OnTheSpot for additional info. Thanks

yes well the two do mix together reasonably well. Most LOB in Indonesia will do this procedure ( only a few will have gear lowered from the LOB into the water whilst still in the tender. See set-up on Pelagian)

Some others now have long whip hoses that lets the tanks be filled whilst alongside.

A number of LOB actually do this for you so it is not a worry.

Hope this helps some more

Thank you all for the insight, especially Shannon, your response has allayed many worries. I will be on the April expedition looking to photograph new critters for an ID book (see reefnet.ca). I am pleasantly surprised by the Board's willingness to help and share info, thank you again. If there is ever any interest in first-hand knowledge of the Middle and Upper Keys please give me a buzz I'll be happy to repay in kind.

You will have the most wonderful time! Good luck with the book!

-shannon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom