'Pimp my dive !' Suggestions for modernizing my SP Mk 5 / 109 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For local NJ/NY/RI diving, most of it shore diving from jetties, rock piles and inlets, I use a Mk 5 with a 156 second stage. The late model Mk 5 I use locally with my own tanks was acquired only a few years ago as new old stock along with an unused but decades old 109 which I converted to its present 156 configuration, replacing all rubber parts as well as the entire poppet assembly with an s poppet and every relevant part connected to it.

I also had a new in it's package DIN conversion kit made by Scubapro specifically for the Mk5 sitting in my drawer for years. It's all brass, including the ring, and is about 35 years old.

When I acquired the NOS regulator combination I knew the MK5 DIN kit's time had come. I opened up the new old stock Mk 5, replaced all the soft parts and the brass turret bolt, and installed the new old stock DIN fitting. This is not the generic fits- all plastic ring DIN conversion. It is made by Scubapro, designed only for the MK5, and is a lovely thing to see with its brass knurled ring.

It states in the slightly yellowed with age Scubapro instruction sheet that came folded in the plastic bag with the DIN fitting that it is safe up to 3300 psi. It has the shallower DIN threads so I only use it with my own steel HP tanks that have the correct matching valves. I take them up to about 3600 psi. I don't travel with this rig because the newer tank valves at resorts are probably threaded too deep, and also because I would never let it out of my sight.

It's as good as it gets.

I also had a new in it's package DIN conversion kit made by Scubapro specifically for the Mk5 sitting in my drawer for years. It's all brass, including the ring, and is about 35 years old.

I don't think that it can be that old, unless things changed quickly. At least in 1977 Scubapro didn't seem to know anything about the threaded European connection (It wasn't called DIN back then) and didn't have one for the Mk-5.

I have a carbon copy of a letter I sent to Scubapro in 1977 asking for such a conversion and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. At the time I was working for a Scubapro dealer in Puerto Rico (during my summer breaks) and another one in Memphis TN.

I did end up getting a conversion kit for my Mk-5 a number of years later. The kit is still in its original package. I quite using DIN fittings many years ago.

Does anyone know when did the DIN fitting start to be known and become popular in the US?
I was using them a lot in the 70's, but I didn't know anyone else that used them. They newest Scubapro scanned catalog I have is 1983 and it doesn't show any DIN connections.

Last edited:
Luis, I still have the packaging and the instructions. I guessed probably around 1980 because it's designed solely for the Mk5 and because the plastic packaging and paper instructions are obviously old. The insert that came with the DIN adaptor shows three possible models.

On the insert is printed a small unchecked box in front of: "p/n 10.043.030 (MK,2, MK3)"

Printed just below on another line is second small box, this one checked, followed by: "p/n10.105.030 (mK5)"

The following text reads:

!WARNING!

"This DIN conversion kit is designed for working pressure NOT TO EXCEED 3300 psi (232 BAR) with the above 1st stages

Installation of this kit should be performed by an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer/service center."

Last edited:
I have one somewhere in a box. I also have one made for the clone MkV units, I prefer it.

Uh, 1980 is not exactly old.

N

I quite agree. A lot of my dive equipment was made before 1980, and is as good or quite often better than currently manufactured stuff.

But I wrote that I thought it was "About 35 years old". 1980 was 34 years ago. It was just a guess and may be way off, so I provided the Scubapro reference numbers. In any case, the age is irrelevant. It's a dedicated item made for a MK5, requires no adjustments or spacers, and is beautiful in both form and function. For that reason alone I am intrigued by it.

Other than drysuits most of my gear is 1975-1995 . I tried modern gear and had to go back to my roots . This is like the 1950-1960 period of automobiles , built strong , user friendly , not as many bells and whistles so less problems .
When I tried modern regs and computers I had more warranty returns than Heinz has sauces .
Long live the MK5 109 , Suunto Eon , Scubapro Jetfins , U.S. Divers Atlantis Mask
rant over

Does anyone know when did the DIN fitting start to be known and become popular in the US?
I was using them a lot in the 70's, but I didn't know anyone else that used them. They newest Scubapro scanned catalog I have is 1983 and it doesn't show any DIN connections.

Luis,

I believe the DIN fitting began to be *widely* known in the US around 1987 or so, when Sherwood began offering its Genesis DIN HP 3,500 psig cylinders (manufactured by PST), which shipped with a 300 Br DIN valve and a DIN conversion wheel for Sherwood regulators.

I learned of the cylinders for the first time when I saw them advertised in a glossy flier in early 1988. I was so impressed by the cylinder that I shortly (in late 1988 and early 1989) special-ordered two HP 80's, two Scubapro 300 Br DIN wheels for the pair of Scubapro Mk 10 regulators I owned, and two DIN fill adapters—the first of this type of gear in this part of the world (central Missouri) so far as I know. I still own, and love, and dive this equipment.

Up until that that time, my only experience with DIN was watching my Cavern and Basic Cave instructor dive with Poseidon regs (which come standard with DIN wheels) mounted, using DIN yoke adapters, on his Benjamin K manifold on his double PST 104's, a few weeks earlier, in Ginnie Springs, FL.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Other than drysuits most of my gear is 1975-1995 . I tried modern gear and had to go back to my roots . This is like the 1950-1960 period of automobiles , built strong , user friendly , not as many bells and whistles so less problems .
When I tried modern regs and computers I had more warranty returns than Heinz has sauces .
Long live the MK5 109 , Suunto Eon , Scubapro Jetfins , U.S. Divers Atlantis Mask
rant over

I think from about 1978 until about 1995 was my Lost in the Desert period. I have a lot of gear from that era I still sometimes use but most has been replaced. Jet Fins are a winner but, dude, the Atlantis mask, I have to add five pounds of lead to counteract that bucket. There is plenty of new stuff I like and plenty of real vintage stuff I like but really very little from that middle era.

N

rslinger does great work on all regs , I sent him a shoe box of parts and got back shiny as new vintage regs , he is outstanding
very sporty! ...so rslinger does refurbs ?

---------- Post added January 14th, 2014 at 09:33 AM ----------

I'd thought about having the unit filled, but the SPEC version has no rubber band lube containment system like the Atomics do, so I'm not sure it's really an option as it would likely cause a huge mess with lube seeping out all over the place.

That's the delimma with 'vintage' vs 'too vintage', parts supplies are fading away. I'd like to see if I can keep these vintage items on the road, without making a career out of it, so I guess I'm in the middle of an experiment of sorts. I'm mainly interested in keeping the 109/156's divable, I'm less particular about the 1st-stage, I can always install my 109/156 2nd-stages on my Aqualung Titan LX's. But as I've now got the MK 5's, I'll use the newer one if keeping it running doesn't become a big project. I also wanted SP 1st-stages to make servicing the 109/156's easier at hte dealer, I may have issues getting a dealer to service my 109/156's if they attached to Aqualung Titan LX 1st-stages. :)

---------- Post added January 14th, 2014 at 09:39 AM ----------

Luckily in the last few weeks I rounded up (9) 109 and/or 156s that are in very good to mint condition, most recently serviced (and a couple or 3 needing to be upgraded to 'balanced'), so I'm fairly well covered on 2nd-stages, just hoping the service parts/rubber parts remain available.

Brian at Vintage Double Hose has been instrumental in keeping parts available for double-hose regulators. He seems to be willing to do the same with single-hose regulators as long as there is a demand. He has in the past had someone make up new purge covers and I think the exhaust tees. In the past, some of the DIY people have done a group buy for Scubapro parts.

Scubapro has changed their parts for life policy so that once your out your out (before an original owner could pay for a new service and be reinstated). I would assume they keep tabs on the number of older regulators registered and when they fall below a critical number they will cease carrying the parts. The seats, o-rings, and exhaust valves are all generic on the 108/109/BA so no part worries there. The purge cover and the exhaust tee would be more difficult to get replacement parts so wait until VDH makes another run and buy some.

The first stage seats and o-rings are standard on the MK-5/10. Pistons last a long time and there is a thread on how to refurbish them. If you want to you can always purchase a used MK-20 with sell for around $100 on ebay or a used MK-10 which sells for $50. Or use your Aqualung firsts if you prefer.

I've heard the MK 10 has an undersized piston, resulting in substantial IP variation as tank pressure changes. It appears VDH doesn't produce exhaust T's/purge covers, per other posters on this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom