Pillowing in wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all.. CONGRATS JACK!! Both on your certification as well as continuing your search in finding that right amount of weight.
I think that everybody has covered the bases of why you might have this problem. If you want to alter your wet suit instead of buying a new one I can recommend http://www.drysuitrepair.com/

My signature says it all!!

jbliesath:
Now, my question is if my bibs, which are too big between my knees and my ribcage, are billowing will the extra air cause me difficulties at the surface going down, and then compress enough to allow the weight to be correct on the platform? Also, when I was at 25 ft, I was golden. However, when I dropped to 35 feet, I started to sink like a rock! I'd add air and started to swim back up to 30 and I'd start heading for the surface again. My thinking was that the air in my suit started to expand and there was then too much air in my BC, overcompensating.

Hi Jack.

Lots of good advise in the previous posts. However, I wanted to add a couple thoughts...

Between 25 and 35 feet it shouldn't take a whole lot of air to make a difference. Make sure you only add air into your BC a puff at a time. You may be amazed at the difference a little bit of air will make. Addind too much air at a time could certainly cause you to head for the surface. With time and proper weighting you'll find even a lungful of air can make a difference.

Also, if the bottoms of you wetsuit are a bit big, try 'burping' your suit upon getting in the water. Drysuit divers do it when donning their suits and usually try to get any remaining air out once in the water and prior to descending. You might try making sure the air pockets are filled with water prior to descending to lessen the buoyancy change as you descend. You want water in there anyway as it's the thing layer of water between the wetsuit and your body that is supposed to help keep you warm. However, if the suit is so loose that the water is sloshing through the suit while you dive, and you are always cold, a new suit may be in order.

Paula

LOL!! Good one! Actually, until I hit about 60 ft, I didn't even notice the cold....C'mon now, just passing on wisdom from a much more experienced diver....(not me) :eyebrow:

Hank49:
No problem. :D " (teeth chattering) -k-k-k-k-kind of c-c-c-c-c-cold t-t-today....b-b-b-but at least w-w-w-w-we're b-b-b-b-b-better d-d-d-divers......". heh heh :D :D

Thanks, I appreciate it! We have really good viz at the one quarry, sometimes 50' or more. However, we have another quarry that is in full algae bloom right now and well, two feet is probably about right. Nothing like swimming in chocolate milk, eh?

Thanks for the link. The suit is an older Akona and I paid $100 for it. I kinda feel like I need to master the wetsuit before trying a drysuit. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Gold Core next year.

crpntr133:
First of all.. CONGRATS JACK!! Both on your certification as well as continuing your search in finding that right amount of weight.
I think that everybody has covered the bases of why you might have this problem. If you want to alter your wet suit instead of buying a new one I can recommend http://www.drysuitrepair.com/

My signature says it all!!

jbliesath:
number three I flooded my suit before starting. So, I guess that took care of the residual air problem.
Jack
As ong as you're in mild surface water this can be a good thing. As ytou state id gets the air out. M<eanwhile you get cooled down after getting in the water. Lastly the surface water is warmer than when you go to depth. The sooner you get that mild water in the suit the less icy water will migrate in for you to warm.

jbliesath:
Believe me, forty pounds will get me down, but the dive cons I talked to thought I was way too heavy...Hmmm, I wonder if they meant FAT! Oh well....And when I realized that I had dropped to 62ft on the long dive and really had to work to ascend! Even adding air, then I hit the crossover point and headed for the surface.
Jack
Your size in 7mm with an AL80and 40 LB is probably in the ballpark for a new diver based on some other divers I know.

It sounds like you need to pay a little more attention to your inflator to control your descent.

If your (BC) bladder didn't have enough lift to get you neutral at 62 feet I wouldn't go deeper until you have someone evaluate your rig for adequate lift.

Pete

Jack, they also do wetsuit repairs.

No, my BC has 50lbs of lift, so that isn't a problem. I think that you are correct and that I just need to compensate more quickly. I figured that if I started heavier I could lighten up. I think I'll try it again with 34 again, hanging onto the dock. As I recall, I couldn't slowly descend and I had to force myself down. I'm also going to try to redistribute my weight, so it isn't all on my belt. Thanks for the suggestions!

Paula,

Thanks for the input. My dives that I did in Cancun, I had my bouancy down pretty well, using my lungs to regulate my depth. All this extra rubber makes it more difficult. Thanks for the suggestions. I will put all of them to good use.

Jack

spectrum:
As ong as you're in mild surface water this can be a good thing. As ytou state id gets the air out. M<eanwhile you get cooled down after getting in the water. Lastly the surface water is warmer than when you go to depth. The sooner you get that mild water in the suit the less icy water will migrate in for you to warm.

Your size in 7mm with an AL80and 40 LB is probably in the ballpark for a new diver based on some other divers I know.

It sounds like you need to pay a little more attention to your inflator to control your descent.

If your (BC) bladder didn't have enough lift to get you neutral at 62 feet I wouldn't go deeper until you have someone evaluate your rig for adequate lift.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom