Piece together or set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRambo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So here's my question -

Would you rather buy piece by piece, possibly getting lower prices for the items (I've got a chance at a $115 Seaquest Black Diamond, $40 Octopus, etc) from strangers (so no warranty), which means an additional charge for getting them serviced when you buy them (or the stress of diving with unknown quality equipment)

OR

Buy a package from someone like LeisurePro or my LDS, spend a bit more on the package, but know that everything is good to go right when you buy it (and no servicing for a year)?

Decisions, decisions...

I guess the question is what will your pocket book allow you to do?

Personally I'd have no problem buying used gear. I'm always looking at e-Bay. If I can come across a good deal on a 1st stage from a brand I like, I'd snag it. A good reg is going to last years.

On the flip side, I've purchased stuff from my LDS that, fortunately I had my receipt and I've purchased stuff from online that was of a good brand, but crapped out within a few months.

Also, from you're profile, you look as if you are new to diving. My advice would be, get what you can afford that is appropriate where you dive and with time and experience, you'll upgrade and replace what you don't like.

Fins. My 4th set of fins are finally the ones I love. I've got a small collection of mask. I finally found one mask that fits perfects, and now I have a few backups.:)

Would you rather buy piece by piece ... OR ... Buy a package from someone like LeisurePro or my LDS ... (and no servicing for a year)?
I see three interwoven questions in your post: 1) packages vs individual items, 2) new vs used, and 3) LDS vs on-line. Responses primarily reflect personal preference, rather than data-driven recommendations, and mine is no different. Personally, I do not endorse packages. While functional, they do not necessarily include individual items a diver might prefer, or even need - they are just as likely to reflect an assortment of items that the seller wants to 'move', clustered around a marquee item - a particular BC or a reg, for example. You would be well-served to buy individual items, that you want. New or used is a second level question. I bought all new initially, as a new diver, and have never regretted doing so, with the possible exception of a cheap (Trident) reel, on which I thought I was saving money. As a new diver, I wasn't familar enough with scuba gear to feel confident in making used purchases. As I gained experience, and familiarity with gear, I became more comfortable in my purchases (first a couple of backplates, then several wings, then a computer, then regulators, most recently some double tanks). I have had generally good experiences with used gear on eBay, although I did get one regulator with a cracked second stage housing (which I replaced myself for $20), a BP harness that was not the advertised size (which the seller willingly accepted back as a return), and a double tank wing that was unnecessarily massive, reflecting my BP/W inexperience at the time. In buying used, I generally buy brands / models with which I am already familiar (the wing being an exception, and a learning experience). Finally, the LDS vs online purchase question is the subject of a substantial number of SB threads, and I can't add much beyond (again) personal opinion. I have benefitted enormously from establishing a relationship with a LDS, where I did my first OW class, and have purchased all of my new gear there over 9 years. I probably could have 'saved' a few dollars on the actual purchase price of my first BC and regulator if I had purchased online, but the benefits - intangible and tangible - of the LDS relationship have so exceeded any price differences that, for me, it is a no-brainer.

"piece by piece" is my vote.....last 2 used items I bought (both off SB btw):-a Seaquest Libra BC for my wife, received & dived 1 week later in Dominica with no servicing--and a Mk 2 & R295 regulators, received & made about 15 dives with it soon afterward with no servicing.....Now, stating this, both items were IMO in great shape ie the regulators had "only 5 dives on them & used as a pony setup" etc etc).....My thinking is use your head & you'll be OK.....good luck...

So here's my question -

Would you rather buy piece by piece, possibly getting lower prices for the items (I've got a chance at a $115 Seaquest Black Diamond, $40 Octopus, etc) from strangers (so no warranty), which means an additional charge for getting them serviced when you buy them (or the stress of diving with unknown quality equipment)

OR

Buy a package from someone like LeisurePro or my LDS, spend a bit more on the package, but know that everything is good to go right when you buy it (and no servicing for a year)?

Decisions, decisions...

I think a lot of divers end up doing all three scenarios: buying new gear from LDS, new gear from online retailers, and used gear from individuals. It is all on a case-by-case basis. I've gotten excellent deals from buying private. Good gear is good gear, after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom