pictures of fish butts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your answers. I have a couple more questions.
What is TTL?
Do some non-DSLR cameras have less shutter lag than others?

FWIW dslr isn't a solution, it's merely another tool. Anyone who says that having a dslr eliminated shooting fish butts is lying :wink:

Yes, some compacts (non-dslrs) have a shorter "shutter delay" than others. Almost all will give you better results if you do the big three:
1) Use the half press to lock focus
2) Slow down in your diving and photo taking. Be ready. Slow down - if your goal is good photos, don't try to cover the whole site!
3) Learn a bit about behaviour and habitat. Many fish are creatures of habit and you can figure out how to anticipate a move by simply watching the activity for a while. The more you do this, the better your photos will be.

TTL is "through the lens". It's a tool, like any other. If you have it, great - learn how to use it. If you don't have it, don't give it another thought - you don't need it. I never use it, even when my strobes allow it; others use it most of the time. It's all personal preference. But whatever you choose - manual or ttl, you have to know how to use it :wink: And even if you use ttl, there will be times when it doesn't do what you want, so you'll need to understand how to use manual, too!

If only this forum could give me a tip on where to find an affordable Canon s70. :wink:

Not to get too far off off topic, but the s70 is kind of a special case. Prices on used ones and new old stock are shooting up all over because there is no camera that has its combination of features currently on the market. (specifically wide angle + RAW.) It's too bad I didn't figure out I needed one a few months ago as it seems just about perfect for a basic underwater camera.

More fish butts! :)

Matt S.:
Not to get too far off off topic, but the s70 is kind of a special case. Prices on used ones and new old stock are shooting up all over because there is no camera that has its combination of features currently on the market. (specifically wide angle + RAW.) It's too bad I didn't figure out I needed one a few months ago as it seems just about perfect for a basic underwater camera.

More fish butts! :)

haaa! that explains why I got such a good price on my S70 on ebay when I sold it! :wink:

alcina:
FWIW dslr isn't a solution, it's merely another tool. Anyone who says that having a dslr eliminated shooting fish butts is lying :wink:
Alcina is so right. I was in Thailand with a woman who had an SLR. We kind of buddied up together because we were always the slowest in the group and we were both taking photos of fang blennies. Mine, with my Oly 7070 came out better than her's. Go figure. :rofl3:

fairybasslet:
Alcina is so right. I was in Thailand with a woman who had an SLR. We kind of buddied up together because we were always the slowest in the group and we were both taking photos of fang blennies. Mine, with my Oly 7070 came out better than her's. Go figure. :rofl3:

case in point, take a look at some of the work Ed_Dman is capable of producing with a Canon S80 point n shoot, single external strobe, and some add on lenses? His photos are just jaw dropping...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162699
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=159324

I use this as my desktop image
fishbutt.jpg

When I was getting started in UW photo back in the 80's I was told by a professional in the field at the time, that if you have to swim toward the fish you are trying to photograph of you'll never get the shot.

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule but over the years I have found that piece of advice to hold true in most cases.

Get settled and let the fish come to you (whenever possible). Observe the fishes behavior patterns and then "anticipate" the shot. It's kinda like "leading the duck" a bit while hunting.

You'll still end up with some out of focus shots and fish butt portraits but the key is to be patient and take A LOT of pics.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom