pictures of fish butts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs:
I use this as my desktop image
fishbutt.jpg
I happen to really like that shot, Chris. It's a classic.

Thanks!

It is a bird wrasse. I spent 20 minuits hovering at 20ft shooting anything that "flew" by.

I was having a problem with the delay of my camera. I came to find out that it had a 'red eye reduction' function where the flash flickers for a few seconds before the picture is taken. Once I turned that off it was a whole new world.

I think if fish had eyes in their butts, they wouldn't have come our red!

Check your computer's manual and turn off everything "automatic". Red-eye, auto-focus, everything.

If you can set it for a fixed shutter speed and aperture, it will fire much faster.

Terry

RumBum:
First I'd like to admit that I am a novice photographer; I have a totally automatic camera but want to get one with manual settings.

One of the problems I have with my current camera (digital) is that after I click the shutter button, the camera has to "think" about the picture for too long, by the time it takes a picture the fish has moved and I have a nice picture of fish butt. What do you recommend as a solution? Is there a certain function I should be looking for in my next camera to avoid fishbutt pictures?

Thanks,
Melissa

i find take a stun gun! with you stun the fish then place them on some nice coral etc.
great results with any digital camera!!!

Web Monkey:
Check your computer's manual and turn off everything "automatic". Red-eye, auto-focus, everything.

If you can set it for a fixed shutter speed and aperture, it will fire much faster.

Good concept there, but I think the camera's manual will probably be a little more useful.

I have so many fish butt pictures I'm thinking of marketing a new product, "Buttmaster". Butt seriously, I'm getting better. Don't chase the fish. Watch them, observe their habits, position yourself and let them come to you. Preset the focus on an object that is where you expect the fish to be when you shoot. Turn off as many auto features as possible. For some fish, if you hang a shiny object from your rig, they'll come to you. That can actually be a problem. I had one Vermillion Rockfish attack and try to eat my camera tether repeatedly. It was under the camera, so all my shots were of it's back.

Larry C:
For some fish, if you hang a shiny object from your rig, they'll come to you. That can actually be a problem.
=========================================

I often dive with a small plastic shaving mirror in my pocket. When I think of it I sometimes lay in in the sand next to the reef. You'd be amazed at the number of territorial little fishies that see themselves in the mirror and react like there's an "intruder". Problem is that once in a while they get so worked up they won't sit still long enough to get off a decent shot with your camera.

All in all though it's quite a show and on occasion I've just put the camera aside and observed their behavior.

'Slogger

If you still cant get it, go to your local aquarium with decent lighting and snap away!!! DON'T use the flash!

A tip that i found helped quite a bit, Fish don't like eyes, if you approch with the camera blocking their view of your eyes they will usually wait a moment longer before that infamous U-turn!

Back
Top Bottom