Pictures from Beach 8th Street Queens New York 06-23-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcienko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went to the Beach 8th street this morning for short dive.Surface conditions were not exactly perfect but dive turns out to be really nice. Water temperature 72 F, bottom 70F.

Surface conditions.

IMG_21_0.jpg

Underwater conditions:

IMG_21_7.jpg

IMG_21_1.jpg

IMG_21_2.jpg

IMG_21_3.jpg

IMG_21_4.jpg

IMG_21_5.jpg

IMG_21_6.jpg

Please visit my site for more pictures

Regards

Marcin

Very cool photos. I'm surprised the temps are that high. A friend of mine went to Point Pleasant and he said his computer registered 49.

that is really off of queens? whats the depth like and if you need a dive buddy let me know that looks fun

I'd go too. But I would need to borrow a tank. I still don't own one. I usually borrow one from my regular buddy when I venture a shore dive in NJ. He should be getting some steel ones soon for free. They just have to be hydro-ed.

Marcin,
Beautiful photographs! I've been out to Beach 8th to reconnoiter and have gotten advice from several divers like Joel Silverstein who have dived this location for decades. I'm about ready to go get wet there and have studied the tide charts for the location. My question is, do you dive with the flag on a reel and go between Beach 9th and the Atlantic Ave bridge, and/or do you drop an anchor/weight with your flag like it looks in the first picture and dive the area.
Also, what time do you dive the site in relation to the incoming high tide with it's slack period, i've heard 45 minutes before and after high tide is best. Any advise on how to dive the site would be appreciated. Any night diving?
Thanks, and maybe we'll cross paths out there soon.
Geoff

I'd go too. But I would need to borrow a tank. I still don't own one. I usually borrow one from my regular buddy when I venture a shore dive in NJ. He should be getting some steel ones soon for free. They just have to be hydro-ed.

I have an extra tank and want to go this weekend...:eyebrow:

Marcin,
Beautiful photographs! I've been out to Beach 8th to reconnoiter and have gotten advice from several divers like Joel Silverstein who have dived this location for decades. I'm about ready to go get wet there and have studied the tide charts for the location. My question is, do you dive with the flag on a reel and go between Beach 9th and the Atlantic Ave bridge, and/or do you drop an anchor/weight with your flag like it looks in the first picture and dive the area.
Also, what time do you dive the site in relation to the incoming high tide with it's slack period, i've heard 45 minutes before and after high tide is best. Any advise on how to dive the site would be appreciated. Any night diving?
Thanks, and maybe we'll cross paths out there soon.
Geoff

Timing...this changes throughout the month. Most times I would say 45 before and after is too much if you are just talking about staying in the beach 8th area. That current can really rip sometimes.

Flag...most just tie the flag off somewhere and then go back to it after the dive. Some keep it but honestly I doubt anyone boating around the area would even consider the dive flag or know what it is. Also, weekends bring out fisherman on the shore and it's a real pain to dodge hooks with a flag toting. That said, people have been ticketed for not using one as they enter and exit the water.

Night diving...sure! Not the best area but people do it. I haven't yet...

Drift dive to the bridge and back...I wouldn't do this on a busy summer weekend due to really heavy boat traffic but as you know, many do. It's best done with someone who has done it many times. It's a long trip and the landmarks can go bye bye on super low viz days. I would dive the area at b8th a few times and get the lay of the land first then do the drift with a friend. The dive is actually done as a drift dive and done with the help of the tide in and out etc...

I am always looking for a partner lately as my wife is pregnant and not currently diving so .....

I am frequently available weekdays too...

that is really off of queens? whats the depth like and if you need a dive buddy let me know that looks fun

5-35fsw. I have hit 48fsw but that takes you out into the channel and it's black down there plus the boat traffic. Also, not really much to see down there. Mostly I just stay in the 20 foot range and look around the rock piles for life.

I'm ready when you are!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom