Picture size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there a way to take smaller picture size other than 2560 X 1920 or larger?
Can I make them smaller? Can’t seem to adjust to make smaller like maybe 800 X 600 ect so don't take up as much room ect on hard drive and memory card thanks this 2560 X 1920 seems to be the default size for the C5050 at least mine right now.

Format choice is in the main menu. Several are available. If you care about picture quality (resolution) you do not want to shoot at a smaller size. Get bigger CF's & harddrive. You can always reduce a large pic afterwards, but cannot enlarge a small one without lose in quality.

You really, really, really want to always shoot your pictures in the highest picture size. More pixels is always better than less pixels. Now you can change the compression settings to a less value (SHQ to HQ) and not lose to much in picture quality. That will reduce the picture's size significantly. You can always reduce the picture size later in a photo editor to e-mail or post on the web.

OK then what format do you all recommend i just bought my self a new Ridata 512 MB CF card.
i had been using a XD cards 128 MB and 256 MB card but everyone hear convince me to switch to CF thanks so much to still learn lol!!!!

My advice, keep the pictures at the highest resolution possible. What you have is not a picture size problem, but a storage problem. You can always add a 100 Gig hard drive to your computer, but you can't increase resolution that isn't there to begin with. Therefore, I wouild recommend always using highest resolution and increasing storage capacity on your computer. Curious, what photo editing software do you use? I like to keep two copies of each picture. One at full resolution, for printing, etc. and another at a reduced resolution for e-mail, web sites, and posting on message boards !

Now you can have 2 storage media in the camera. Use your new 512 CF as primary storage & an XD as secondary. If you fill up the CF during a dive just switch to the XD. As you know the whale shark always shows up when you're out of pixels. :)
Might also want to consider a USB CF reader for download. That way the camera isn't tied up, & its probably a bit faster.

Taucher:
My advice, keep the pictures at the highest resolution possible. What you have is not a picture size problem, but a storage problem. You can always add a 100 Gig hard drive to your computer, but you can't increase resolution that isn't there to begin with. Therefore, I wouild recommend always using highest resolution and increasing storage capacity on your computer. Curious, what photo editing software do you use? I like to keep two copies of each picture. One at full resolution, for printing, etc. and another at a reduced resolution for e-mail, web sites, and posting on message boards !
I use microsoft photo and adobe photoshop elments
well I just trying to figure out way save all those trip pictures till I get home to put on my main machine.
thanks
so which is better HQ or SHQ , TIFF or raw
this i am not sure about sem to get allot more oictures out of HQ than SHQ

RAW & TIFF are really big files. Unless you are going to print large photos or want maximum pic information to work with in Photoshop (or whatever), you should be happy with your current setting SHQ 2560x1920. This will give you about 140 pics on the 512 CF. For storage on a trip its either lots of CF's, a laptop (can then copy to cd's), or a portable storage device that basically is a hard drive with download capability (they're about the size of a paperback book).

If you are ever going to want to print them, they shold really be TIFF files. as for temporary storage, till you get home, well I have about 6 different media cards of varieing capacity. I'm thinking of getting a new camera, and maybe a cheap used laptop and card reader to take on trips. The way I see it, right now, extra media is cheaper than a laptop. I would also be realistic about looking at the pictures after each dive. Even on a 1.6" or so screen, fish butts still look loike fish butts and you can delete them on the spot, freeing up your card for more pictures. These days, most cameras will take a 512MB card, which in a 5 MP camera, on TIFF settings will be a 12 MB file or so. thats a lot of pictures on each card IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom